Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What did you pay for your Service?

vxchev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 CALAIS V8
I just use the local performance shop as I trust they will do a good job at a reasonable price. Only ever used Holden for warranty stuff. Eg diff replacement When I was in Canberra last year the guys at Gerald Salven where great charged me $157 for 100K service, fixed the L/H/F wheel bearing , replaced the chrome strips down the side and checked and cleared the drivers airbag circuit short to battery without any hassle. Two Victorian dealers kept on saying there was nothing wrong with the L/H/F bearing as it was only noisy tyres :mad:

What does get up my nose is the price of 10-30 Moble oil. I paided $75 from Autobarn last time and Bursons wanted $89 :ranting:

Les

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Shounak said:
Not sure exactly what you're asking, but they wouldn't regas ur a/c unless something was wrong or if you asked them to..

It says in the service manual, after standard checks and maintanence, there are additional checks like, inspect brake, valve clearence then there is leak check and regas aircon - i guess it does say optional but the aircon does seem colder

H

Holden_Mechanic

10-30W must be used with the alloytec as the 10-40W is not compatible.

you do not have to stay with the one dealership. find one you are happy with. OK your local spends more time for less, but they are not vehicle specific. also, holden does not give the computer diagnostic tools (Or programs) to anyone except dealerships. so if you stay onside with thedealership or mainly the service adviser, they will tell the technician, "Take extra good care of that one, hes a very good customer"

:driving:

Rod VZ Storm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Storm ute M6
Rod VZ Storm said:
G'day all.
Im new here and its my first post :wave:

I just had a 15K service done on my VZ V6 Storm today. (P*nnant Hills)
TOTAL = $283.60

15K service labour $165 + GST
The handbook suggests 1.2hrs. That works out at $135 p/hour
Their reply: "Sir, we use a fixed price service charge and it is not charged by the hour"

Oil Filter $16.11 + GST
Oil Magnetic 10/30 $61.75 + GST
P/Steering fluid was low $4.48 + GST
Environmental Levy $5 + GST
W/Shop supplies $8.50 + GST
TOTAL $283.60 in GST

UPDATE

Ive just done my in-between 22500km service (im actually at 23K so i was a bit late as i was on hols)

I used my local trusted mechanic as follows:

Labour $112.50 + gst
Grease & oil change, check this, check that, check brakes, replace air filter, change clutch fliud, rotate wheels.

Genuine oil filter $12.79 + gst
Oil Havoline Plus 10/30 $43.22 + gst
Sump plug washer $1.25 + gst
Windscreen washer additive $1.50 + gst
Air filter $20.09 + gst
Clutch fluid $8.93
Two wheel balance 2x$6 = $12 + gst (i requested this)
W/shop supplies and Enviro Levy $7.50

TOTAL $241.76 inc GST

The air filter was dirty apparently. He also reckoned the clutch fluid was pretty ordinary and changed it too.

I just got back from a 4500km trip from Sydney via SW NSW to Adelaide, Great Ocean Road, Melbourne, Lakes Enterance, Canberra and Sydney. Since the car was new Ive been to Brisbane twice and Coffs/Port Mac a couple of times too. So ive covered a fair bit of ground (and got my share of stone chips too :hit: )

The bills a bit dearer than i expected, but at this stage i still trust my local guy.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but ill add my wheel alignment story too:
I had my wheel alignment done 2 weeks ago with Mr No Bull.
I reported that the steering wheel was slightly off centre but the car did not pull and drove straight other wise.
They adjusted front alignment and checked the rear (no adjustment on ute)
Price was $66 inc gst and included the free 28pt safety check.

I saw them test drive it before they started, then they put it on the hoist and adjusted it and then test drove it again and they wont happy and adjusted it again and test drove it again. So it appears they earnt their money.

They claimed that i needed a power steering flush $120 (i said no thanks).

They also claimed i needed a rear camber & toe kit ~$350 to supply,fit & re align.
I was a bit supect about this, so armed with their written report with the camber/caster/toe angles etc i went down to my local trusted mechanic and asked for his opinion. He pulled me into his office and we looked up his Repco AutoTech computer data base to see what the specs should be on my car. While my angles are not perfect, they are all within manufacturers specs. So we figured that i dont need the camber kit after all. (and my tyres have been wearing OK)

They were kind enough to give me a fully sic No Bull sticker for my back window and a small sticker on the inside front windscreen saying "work required in near future" in bold red letters (both were promptly removed once i found them)

Sorry to rave on with a long post ..... since we were on the topic of service and prices thought id post this up

DavoTheGreat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series ClubSport
30,000km service on my SV6 was $190 at United Holden, Rockdale.

ss16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S3 SS A4
ss16 said:
I just came back from the local Dealer $300 lighter in the pocket for the stock standard 40,000 service on my VS.

Whilst I agree with part prices I cannot imagine how the $105/hr labour charge (1.5hrs as per manual) is 30% discounted (offer local dealer has on 6yo vehicles)
or
what could possibly be included in $19.48 (+GST) "Workshop Supplies"

Followed it up with the dealer. After few choice conversations (all calm and factual from my point) I ended up getting a service cost refund of $61 (was supposed to get a 30% discount due to Dealer Club offering) but still no word on what the supplies were, (apparently diff oil top up, gearbox oil top up, and misc liquids - prob a case of stubbies) .
Just a cheque, without a word why it took number of phonecalls and emails before it was even acknowledged as an overcharge.

Good bye Holden service - Hello Ultra Tune (some people I work with had good things to say about the local branch)

Andiesrefuge

Reaction score
I have plenty of faith in Village Redcliffe (Brisbane) 180.00 for a 15k VZ service.

On a sidenote, i took my SRi Barina to Westpoint Indooroopilly for a 60k, they wanted 880 for the service, and demanded my brakes be changed @ 1020.00

I got a quote back from Village, service 770 breaks 820.00 (and i didnt mention any costs or that my barina was at another location)

So i stopped all work on the barina, went to collect it they charged me for a wheel rotation as i knew my local bobjane couldnt do it, they said it had the work carried out at bobjane, i asked for the paperwork, then they confessed it was done inhouse (and i knew from my 10-15-30-45k services that they had no facilities to do that, so after them admitting if I didnt believe them dont pay, so i'm not paying without seeing proof, and the service manager simply told me ''if your going to behave in such an attitude, dont come back''

Easy to say where i'll be getting my service done from now on!!

S

Sensations

Strange huh!

On 3k serive should be free....
10K service just oil and filter change $200 and under.
20k mine coming up for $195 oil and filter and inspection.

No spark plug change on the VZ SS till 90k they say.

I don't care if it blows up not my fault :D they say hight out put no need.

i say warrenty !!!!

H

Holden_Mechanic

Rod VZ Storm said:
SS16 i hear you loud and clear !!!!

I think that a local regular mechanic is the way to go .... cheaper and you know they do a honest job on your car.

Id like to take it to my local mechanic, but under warranty i dont want to have any dramas. I know that any "qualified" mechanic can stamp the log book and it is meant to be OK but i dont want a fight with Holden if i need to make a major claim.

Im seriously thinking about going to the local bloke for everything. I might give holden one last try.

(im still using the local bloke for the in-between oil changes though)

how can u say that atleast the local does an honest job????? we are all mechanics. we all have the same qualifications. its just how we use our skills. sure some arnt the most honest but thats the individual. i only have extra jobs put down for customers if they NEED to be done. and local mech's are more dodgy than most dealerships coz they dont have a reputation to uphold.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
haha, ill never take any car i own to a dealer ever again unless it is for warrenty work. why dont care if they lose 1 customer. small businesses rely on good feedback and repeat customers thats why they do their best to NOT rip you off. you do get some exceptions though