Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is the Difference between Exhaust Systems

C

crewiess

I am looking at getting a new system for the Crewman. Am looking at getting Pacemaker Tri Y extractors, hi flow cats and a sports system to the back. Have spoken to a couple of the shops and one has recommended a 3.5 inch system and another shop recommends a twin 2.5 inch system. I dont want any drone nor do I want it loud inside the car. What are the benefits/differences of each system? Any differences in rwkw or low or mid range response? Any advice welcomed? Any experiences of either would alos help.

B

B-man

SS Exhaust

I just got a new exhaust today. I had the standard series 2 dual sports exhaust and all i wanted was the V8 sound (I was happy with the performance). I rang around and asked for peoples advice, and alot of them suggested the 3" cat back system. But I thought going to a single 3" cat back was a little step backwards. In the end I opted for a 2.5" dual cat back system, they gave me a choice between the Redback and another. The Redback system has a larger resonator and doesn't have the sound i wanted, so I chose the other. I don't know what brand it was but it sounds great. And they said it would increase performance by 14Kw (a bonus).
The guys out at Belconnen Exhaust Centre were great the the price was even better.
Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

BobT

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
"And they said it would increase performance by 14Kw" and you believed them? I've heard a lot of hear say but I've yet to hear of anyone testing an exhaust modified VZ on a dyno. Until that happens, forgive me for being sceptical.

B

B-man

I don't really care if there was an increase but if there was well it's a good bonus. The stock sports exhaust was just too quiet. You buy a V8, you want the V8 sound. Holden should really think about putting the sound back in them. There is nothing better than the sound of a V8. But i guess there is alot of people out there that would perfer the drone of a 4" system and a blow off valve as well.hahaha

C

crewiess

Yeah guys. I think it is really bizarre that the car sounds like a V8 inside but a strangulated 4 (is that a ricey?) outside. But still I am trying to understand what the diff is around a dual 2.5 inch system vs a single 3 inch system. B-Man said you thought it was a backward step why? Do you also get more drone out of a big single system.

My Mrs will be driving the beast most days so I am looking to get a good sound some extra neddies but definitley no drone and no extra scrutiny from plod. Any advice appreciated.

B

B-man

Well I'm certainly no engineer but the dual bolt on sports system I got is legal and sounds great. This is the first dual system I have had. I've had a few Commodores in the past and my mates all had duals and I was the cheapo that had the bolt-on single. But I guess it is personal preference. I am mearly expressing my point of view. The bolt on (ESA) dual 2.5" is an excellent sounding system. Far exceeding my expectations, and may have increased performance. (until put on a dyno this cannot be proved) but I was never wanting a increase in power just the good old sound of the 5.7L.

This is a $650 exhaust system, which is the cheap way to go. I'm not made of money, but am content with the performance and sound.

And there is no drone with this system.