Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Buick] what do i need to run 10psi

hhh_2007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina Wagon
What about a intercooler do i need it and do i need to upgrade my brakes.

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
you will need an intercooler, brakes arent a MUST, but you should :p.

hhh_2007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina Wagon
hi would any one know where to get the t3\t4 turbo oil lines and fitting from to a vn s1 v6? thanks

dons vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
its a fair job to turbo something that was never ment to be turboed.
to start off with the static compression ratio im guessing will be quite high so you would want to run some lower comp pistons, proberly some forged alloy ones as well to cope with the added heat from a charged intake.
Fuel system needs to be able to cope with rising air flow so you will need bigger injectors and most likely a better than standard fuel pump.
a descent head gasket is a good idea, not sure if holdens have much in the range of multi layer steel or even copper hea gaskets but they would be ideal over a standard graphite style.
new set of head bolts or some head studs if avaiable to keep the head down.
then you got your cam and head gear, your going to have a charged intake now so you want the valves to open up a fair bit to allow as much air in with out restriction, so either a different camshaft with increased lift and duration or some different ratio rockers to open the valves further but ideally you would want more duration as well.
The aftermarket rockers would increase valve speed while opening the valves further so valve seats would suffer over time, plus you would want some descent valve springs.
if the standard head doesnt flow very well under boost then might help to do a radious cut on the seats and port them in and ex out slightly to increase flow capacity.
not sure what the standard chambers look like but im guessing there not ment for much turbulence so some chamber manipulation would be good.

open up your intake with a descent sized t/b.
one of those mace engineering spacers on the plenum would be a good idea as well.

IMO i wouldnt be turboing a 300,000km old n/a i would be stripping it down before running 10psi on it.
also are you only single turboing it or twin?

dons vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
upgrading brakes is a good idea, as all this extra power your gonna need to stop, dont skimp on tyres either, no point having a killer braking system running nankangs as its just gonna lock up anyway.
cooler is ideal no point sticking 10psi of hot charge into the engine, although you could toy with a water injection kit to cool the charge.

gonna need a descent ecu as well plus someone who knows there commo's well for tuning.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
its a fair job to turbo something that was never ment to be turboed.
to start off with the static compression ratio im guessing will be quite high so you would want to run some lower comp pistons, proberly some forged alloy ones as well to cope with the added heat from a charged intake.
Fuel system needs to be able to cope with rising air flow so you will need bigger injectors and most likely a better than standard fuel pump.
a descent head gasket is a good idea, not sure if holdens have much in the range of multi layer steel or even copper hea gaskets but they would be ideal over a standard graphite style.
new set of head bolts or some head studs if avaiable to keep the head down.
then you got your cam and head gear, your going to have a charged intake now so you want the valves to open up a fair bit to allow as much air in with out restriction, so either a different camshaft with increased lift and duration or some different ratio rockers to open the valves further but ideally you would want more duration as well.
The aftermarket rockers would increase valve speed while opening the valves further so valve seats would suffer over time, plus you would want some descent valve springs.
if the standard head doesnt flow very well under boost then might help to do a radious cut on the seats and port them in and ex out slightly to increase flow capacity.
not sure what the standard chambers look like but im guessing there not ment for much turbulence so some chamber manipulation would be good.

open up your intake with a descent sized t/b.
one of those mace engineering spacers on the plenum would be a good idea as well.

IMO i wouldnt be turboing a 300,000km old n/a i would be stripping it down before running 10psi on it.
also are you only single turboing it or twin?

do some research mate, just a heads up,the 3800 buick (stock 8.5:1 CR, perfect for boost) will run 10psi all day with a stock engine just fine as long as it's in decent condition to begin with . as i mentioned earlier, plenty of people run a lot more then 10psi boost without issues on stock engines. for 10psi all you will need is bigger injectors, 2bar map and tune to suit. stock fuel pump can handle if in good condition. stay away from rising rate regs too. copper head gaskets suck, always leak unless you use chemiweld in the coolant from the first start. factory gaskets with some headstuds should do fine but you won't have issues at 10psi unless you have a crap tune:thumbsup:

hhh_2007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina Wagon
are you only single turboing it or twin
single turbo
just got intercooler on the weekend 600x300x76 would that be about the right size. Thanks all the info will help a lot