Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What does everyone think?

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
g'day everyone, not sure if this was the right section or not to put it in, was gunna put this up in the VZ section but i want opinions from more then people within the vz section

so my mate is getting a vu v6 ute, completely stock...i have a vz v6 ute, practically stock, only minor changes...we've been spectating at the eastern creek drags nearly every wednesday and i've been considering taking my car down the strip, but don't want to do it alone the first time..so my mate with the vu said he'd come race me..SWEET!

the problem is, do you guys think the cars drivetrain will hold up ok?..with the rubber being so sticky that has been laid on the strip im not so sure how the cars will go with the added pressure of that...my vz ute will have a heavy duty clutch installed by the end of the week so the clutch won't be a problem...im more worried about the tailshaft, diff and drive shafts...if we both had a hard take off do you guys think those components will hold up.

i personally think the cars will be fine, because its just like taking your car for a good burn on the road, except i want to do it legally and get a time etc

whats everyones thoughts on this?

cheers everyone

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
drags mean the death of alot of cars, if your so concerned about what mis use your cars can handle dont do it

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
yea iv'e seen alotta powerful cars there snap their tailshifts etc..i know everything up to my gearbox can handle the track, tailshaft, diff n drive axle im a tad concerned, i think it should be ok though..what would the difference be between going for a burn up the street and going to the strip and doing the same thing..more traction? thats all really i think:S

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
You'll be right. You're not making big power so those parts you're concerned about shouldn't be a worry. Get out there and have some fun.

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Well said +2

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HG Brougham, VS Ute, VR SS
people snap tailshafts and blow diffs/boxes usually from enormous strain and sometimes driver error, its hard to reliably deliver huge amounts of horsepower to your rear wheels. If your car is stock performance wise, i personally cant see there being a problem with your diff/tailshaft. In my opinion you put more strain on your driveline doing a burnout (a decent one that is)

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
high reving for a period of time leads to detonation. same as cutting sick on the spot leads to over heating and failures. your car your risks.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
high reving for a period of time leads to detonation. same as cutting sick on the spot leads to over heating and failures. your car your risks.

Do you always have such a positive outlook on life?

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
You'll be right mate. As mentioned you're not punching out much power so the risks aren't as high.

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
im convinced:) i thought i might double check, considering i done a burnout..somewhere...and my single spinner diff limo'd up..it was spinning both wheels, at about the same rate, on rough road (yep, shredding tyres to the **** house), and i was at work talking to mate that used to work at a performance place, and he said when the commodore diffs are on their way out, they limo up and spin 2 wheels..? can anyone else second that?..thats why i got concerned in the first place, if my diff is on its way out after those coupla burnouts, im a tad worried that im not gunna get home from eastern creek when i race hahaha...but yea, the plan is to waste a set of tyres when my mate gets his vu around early febuary..so we're jsut gunna sit the cars on the spot to legally burnout before the race, then race haha