Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What does one need to view error codes from the car computer?

pengoau

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 Commodore Ute
G'day

What equipment do I need to connect to my car's computer?

I have a '99 VS 3 Commodore Ute and would like to see what codes are being returned, as I'm having a problem with the engine dying while I'm driving it. So want to see if its saying anything about the CAS.

I take it I'd need a laptop and a data cable (what sort of cable? serial? usb? propietary?).

Thanks

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
you can just use a paperclip to get error codes but if you actually want to monitor ecu data with a laptop you need an aldl cable which are easy to make you need the 2 trans 8192 baud aldl cable.they work with either laptop with serial port or a usb to serial cable .the plans are on the net if you cant find it ill add an attachment of a schematic

pengoau

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 Commodore Ute
whereabouts on a vs3 is the computer port? You said I can use a paper clip, is there a built in lcd that'll show codes?

I'm just after diag/error codes so I can look em up to see if it will explain the problem I'm having.

thanks

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
heres a schematic if you want to monitor whats going on with a laptop.there has been debate over wether the diode goes that way round or the other way so if it doesnt work reverse the diode

Attachments

• Scan3.jpg
    Scan3.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 697

pengoau

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 Commodore Ute
thanks mate but i have nfi on electronics, electrical wiring. So I'd need to purchase a cable if I ever need one.

Where's the computer port? Is there a built in screen for me to read codes?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
read the thread vn6pwr provided a link to above it explains everything you need to count the flashes on the check engine light to get the codes when you have the paper clip in the plug under the steering wheel