Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what drive "D" do u guys drive in

plAythiNG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive V6
so c'mon fellas, wat drive gear do u all drive in, for an auto of course, the normal d or the blue D, also wat are the advan/disadvan of both?

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
this has been covered many times.
White D for normal suburban driving.
Blue D for highway

plAythiNG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive V6
sorry if i have annoyed u, first time on a forum, umm advantages/disadvtanges please? and which one is overdrive yea?

plAythiNG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive V6
but i find white d to rev harder/louder whenever i drive?

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
I just use the normal D. It's only that i'm too lazy to knock the gear selector back another notch though :D

Apparently it's best to drive in the lower D under about 80kph as it keeps it from dropping into top gear. Meant to get slightly better fuel economy that way at lower speeds.

The one next to neutral lets it go into overdrive. Try driving at about 90 and move it between the two D s if you want to see the difference.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
plAythiNG said:
sorry if i have annoyed u, first time on a forum, umm advantages/disadvtanges please? and which one is overdrive yea?

no problem man, just having a long day.

ok heres why-
leaving in blue D is not good unless youre on the highway/freeway. leaving it in blue D causes the gearbox to constantly switch between 3rd and 4th gear when accelerating and this is not good for the box. 4th gear also requires more power to get back up to 80 when you drop your speed, white D does not have this problem, mainly because the gear ratio is 1:1 in 3rd gear.
as for those people that think fuel economy is worse in white D, youre wrong. using a calais dash showing instantaneous fuel usage, white d provides the same, if not better economy than blue when travelling around 80km/h

DAMN IT I WANT MANUAL

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
First D i go for:D If I'm on the freeway and want to unlock the converter for overtaking i just drop it to the 2nd D for smooth faster overtaking.

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
putting it more simply, the white D has smaller ratios which is good for surban driving, and the blue D has longer ratios, which is better for longer distance.

thats what i was lead to understand.