Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What else do I need?

Siliconslick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS M6
I am fairly new to the world of car audio and I was going to try and install a stereo system into my car. I'm fairly competent in soldering and running cable. I'm just not sure what I else I need. I have the following sitting on my kitchen bench:

1 Sony head unit
2 Pioneer 6" speakers (one box)
2 Sony 6x9s (one box)
1 Kenwood 4 channel amplifier

I was thinking along the lines of a basic parcel shelf install of the 6x9s and a boot mount for the amplifier.

Should probably add that it is a 2000 VX Berlina (its a sofa that flies)

Last edited:

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Sounds like youve got the beginnings of a good system there mate.

You'll be needing the following if you havent already got them:

*Amplifier wiring kit (5m 8awg power, 1m earth), 5m RCA cable, 5m 16-18awg remote cable.
*About 12m of 16awg speaker cable (amp to parcel shelf and amp to front speakers)
*I think a pair of speaker grilles for the parcel shelf (top peice).

Good luck with the install mate, if you have any more questions ask away ;)

Daniel.B

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec S2 3.8
What type of pioneer 6 inch and 6x9's are they?? If their just cheap 6 inch coaxials, and entry level 6x9's, i wouldnt imagine this would be a huge improvemt, if you have a VX berlina../ How many speakers came out in the brelina??

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Even if they are entry level speakers, with the improvement in sound quality from the aftermarket head-unit, along with more tuning options it'll sound alot better just from that alone. Not to mention the amplifier that will produce way more power than the stock head-unit, even if it only produces 50wrms per channel. The 6x9s will produce more bass than the stock 6" speakers which are mounted in the rear doors.

Daniel.B

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec S2 3.8
I understand the amplifier, but you can get 6.5 inch pioneer coaxials for about as low as $30-40, i know cause i put a set at one stage into a VW Polo, with an aftermarket deck, and the sound quality was worse than the stock setup, ....

Siliconslick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS M6
The main reason I'm upgrading is ever since I discovered Beastie Boys' Hello Nasty all the sound started to get fuzzy.

Do i need spacers or anything?

P.S My Berlina came with 4 speakers, but i believe a pair of 8 inch subs were an option.

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Theres a number of reasons why that could have occured, firstly youre talking about a VW.....totally different car to a VX commodore. I dont wanna hijack someone elses thread to go on about this.

Siliconslick, you might need to "modify" the stock speaker pods behind the door interior, depending on how large the mounting diameter is on the speakers. This involves just cutting out a small amount of plastic allowing the speaker to fit inside the pod properly. The 6x9s wont need any spacers, theres holes in the parcel shelf that are just covered with a peice of metal thats tack welded/glued into place, you'll just need to pry these out and mount the 6x9s in from the top (requires the top of the parcel shelf to be removed). You'll probably need to do this anyway so you can install these:
http://www.aerpro.com.au/list.php?p...eaker+grilles+VT/VY+Commodore,+Black&cat_sno=

Post Vintage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Manual
I had Nokia speakers in my E39 BMW factory fitment... you will find cheap pioneers shouldnt be as good SQ as VW/BMW/Merc factory speakers... however they should handle way more power.

Daniel.B

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec S2 3.8
I was only curious as to what type of speakers he has, because with regards to install, he hasn't asked about tweeter, or crossover mounting and locations, so therefore i've assumed the speakers he brought, are 6.5 inch coaxials... Knowing how cheap some pioneer coaxials are, they aren't always an improvemnt..Holden boy i'm wasnt doubting your knowledge or having a go or anything,

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Thats alright Daniel.B, just thought i'd let you know the euro cars are totally different when it comes to factory speakers. The ones in the VX are basically crap, even the cheap Pioneers will sound better.