Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what else should i replace on red 202

ncass11

Reaction score
Members Ride
'81 Diesel Hilux / '75 Landrover series 3
hey im pulling the red 202 out of my vb to replace the crank seals , what else should i do while its out, should i replace the valve seats too, because i heard they get sticky and fk up from the heat when using unleaded in them correct me if im wrong, anything else i should do

spauldj308

S Pack Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S sedan 5L, VSII ute
Timing gears.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Replace anything that is worn, if your not sure what your looking for then get a service manual.
Short of that, order a new gasket kit, cam/lifters, strip the whole motor and have it professionally cleaned and the head recoed.
When the shop cleans the crank and block ask them to supply you rings and bearings to suit.
Buy a couple of cans of your favourite engine colour and start assembling.
Check check and triple check.
FYI if you never done a rear seal on a red motor before then this is the most critical part to install, too tight and you will burn the crank up, too loose and it will leak like a sieve.

ncass11

Reaction score
Members Ride
lol i dont really want a full rebuild, its just a 202 i got a 304 to do that with, i just want to get it roadworthy and reliable

thanks

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Valve seats dont get sticky from inleaded fuel, they burn so they dont seal properly. Its best to leave them alone if they are not leaking. Put an aluminium cam gear on it if it hasnt already had one fitted, because the factory fibre gear is prone to having the teeth strip off and leave you stranded on the side of the road. Take the sump off and check the big end bearings for wear and clean the strainer on the oil pickup. The rear main seal should be a 2 piece rubber one which is a lot easier to fit than the earlier rope seal red motors. Just put a smear of silicone on the ends of the seal before you put it in so it doesnt leak. You will have to remove the harmonic balancer and timing cover to lower the crank so you can replace the rear main seal.

ncass11

Reaction score
Members Ride
thats some good info thanks every one