Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what exactly is an ecotec?

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
For one I have read that you can reprogram the ECU up to the VT but not the VX .... and I think ecotec have got cast iron heads .... Doc Bob would be the best to ask ... even ask him in a pm ...

jacko

Reaction score
the ecotecs were the new update engines in the VS-VY, which Holden claim achieve more power while being more fuel efficient. the ecotec stands for something like 'emissions and consumption optimisation thru technology'. theyre a similar engine, holden made some changes to the buick 3800. the heads on the engines are different, et cetera.

hope that made sense, ive had a few.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
it is essentially still a buick at heart, but its got about a 1inch shorter block height, better heads, flow better and all ports are in same orientation, making the cams a different setup.

better intake manifold, same water pump.

it runs a maf sensor in the intake piping.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
Hmmmm...Interesting... Would I be right in guessing that the alloytec is called that because....um......It has alloy heads?! Meh...I dunno.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
alloy block...for the alloytec

whats been said already is pretty right, the ecotec is a redesigned buick, built with certain targets for the modern market in mind (after all, the original buick engine is very old). it had weight, size, performance, emissions and economy targets in mind when being built and as such has various changes such as those mentioned already and a few others like shorter conrods.
one of the best changes (i believe) is the heads, with the ecotec having a much better design and longer runners.
a few other differences to the ecotec are, higher compression (9.4:1 compared to 9:1), electronic sequential injection and the use of a maf sensor (as apposed to map).

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
jacko said:
ecotec stands for something like 'emissions and consumption optimisation thru technology'.

close but it's 'emissions control optimisation technology'