Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What exhaust should i Get VP?

COMMY VP 666

COMMY VP V6
Reaction score
Members Ride
COMMODORE VP
hey i have a Commy VP now wanting to get exhaust, what size is the best to get?

its a v6 with only mod(so Far) is cold air intake

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
Just go a 2.5" exhaust. I'd reccomend Lukey, most people prefer just the centre muffler and no rear resinator.

If you have a large budget then there are better (dual) options, but not really worth it on a VN/VP V6.

most people prefer a drone....

rear muffler no center...

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Either way, you're better off with the both imo, you just have to choose the right mufflers, but most people don't want to spend the money on two good quality mufflers. They just want the normal $250 fitted exhaust. It'd generally be much louder though without the centre muffler and just a rear resinator than the opposite way around.

VN Lukey

BT1, the way to go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VN S1
i just bought a system for my VN V6..
it a 2 1/2 inch cat back with a hotdog followed by a straight through muffler with twin dumpies..

it sounds like an 8 .. i love it... but just a bit worried its too loud..

the guy said its just over EPA level and its the closest he can get it to legal...
cost $250...

VN Lukey

BT1, the way to go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VN S1
oh and ill never turn my back on Redback systems... they are awesome..

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Go the Lukey system. Your local Midas will be able to do it for you in about 2 hours or so. That's wat i've got on mine. Sounds okay. Has one muffler and dosen't drone really. Its loud enough for a V6. No matter what exhaust you have, it will never sound like a V8.

VN Lukey

BT1, the way to go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VN S1
Lukey Systems are made thinner and sound more tinny.. Redback are a far better make...
my mate had a Lukey catback system in his st8to.. lated 1 year till it started rattling and the honeycomb type material in the muffler broke appart... he was told that lukeys products are pretty thin...

its up to you tho.. whatever you preffer.. im just telling you all i know.. so u know...

cheers...

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I have advance headers, high flow cat, lukey mandrel bent 2.5" with one straight through middle muffler, with a x-force noise suppressing tip (dual layered, perforated insides) on my VP, there's almost no drone, can only really hear the exhaust with the window down or if you've got your foot down.

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
It'd generally be much louder though without the centre muffler and just a rear resinator than the opposite way around.

yeah i had a stock exhaust where i removed the resonator and put a 4inch pipe there, drone central, not that loud though. YouTube - VN Commodore Home Made Exhaust

i bought another exhaust to do it the other way around (remove muffler but keep resonator), hoping it would remove the drone. never got around to it though.

the best sounding exhaust i've heard so far on a buick is the stock one :)