Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What fits in a Small Salisbury Housing?

gone_nutz13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN BT1 - 5.0
Hi all,
I've been searching the forums/interwebz and have read the sh!t out of the diff info thread but can't seem to find the answer i'm wanting. :hmmm:

I have a VH project car i'm working on, with a disc rear end and a small salisbury.
I am pretty sure i have a fine spline axle.

I'm wondering if it is possible to replace the diff centre without having to replace the whole housing? i.e can i get a borgwarner centre and fit it into the small salisbury housing?

And obviously a 10 bolt wont fit in the 8 bolt housing?

Cheers

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
the small salisbury uses the same centre as the old banjo diffs out of the early H series Holdens.
unfortunately not much else fits them.

Are you plonking a V8 into the car by any chance ? If so, you are better off just buying a 10 bolt diff/axle complete- they are cheap these days.

gone_nutz13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN BT1 - 5.0
Yes, I will be, going to put a 308 in front of it so i need something stronger than the little sals can provide. Thought if i can just replace the centre/axles i'll be laughing, but if not then i'll try and track down a VK or VL borgwarner disc to disc. Save me a few headaches i think.

Cheers for your help

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
The gears out of a banjo diff are supposed to fit in the small salisbury housing. You will need to find one with fine splines though. Fine spline banjo diffs were used in Toranas and Kingswoods from 1976 on. Earlier models were course spline axle.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
can fit a vl diff but its only 25 spline unless its a vl turbo or vl v8 diff we run a 25 spline vl diff in the vb but its now getting vn 28spline axles modded to suit and a 4 spider centre as we have just twisted our 2nd axle this one lasted 40km

gone_nutz13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN BT1 - 5.0
cheers, i reckon finding banjo internals that are all still good might be harder than trying to find a VK/L complete housing etc.

It's good to hear the different combos that are getting around, i've thought about the VN option also, but with a Borgy housing i can really do as i wish. (i did think about a kaaz centre too) but was unsure if even that would fit?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
we are going to bolt in a vn housing this week to see how far out the wheels are going to poke cause if its not to bad we will save money and just run a complete vn diff we have the axles sitting in the vl diff they are around 15mm too long but wheels look like they would still fit under the gaurd when on the axles so we will see if it fits iff not cutting down axles

gone_nutz13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN BT1 - 5.0
there is a bit of controversy over the use of the VN assembly, it will fit, but only if you use small wheels, anything over 205 width will scrub like buggery apparantly. I've got little stock wheels with brand new tread which would pass pits easy as, but don't want to limit myself with wheel sizes later

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yeah the vl diff we had one set of wheels that only fitted with 205's on then we got the new wheels and they fit with 255's so if we can get away with 235's and vn diff we are laughing

gone_nutz13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN BT1 - 5.0
awesome, guess it all comes down to the rim offset, if you can get a good offset, should be sweet