Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What fuel consumption do you get from your VY SS?

thatbrynguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Commodore SS 5.7L M6
I'm sure that this has been covered before, but.

I never thought about it until just now, but what sort of fuel consumption are people getting from their VY SS sedans? I'm getting between 17-21L/100Km from a stock SS, and at first I thought that might be normal. But after browsing some other threads I'm thinking maybe that's a touch excessive?

Genuine responses only please guys :) I'm fully aware that V8's are thirsty, all I really want to see is what sort of consumption other people are experiencing so I can compare.

Cheers :)

VY_Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commy pos
Mine is stock, with just a full exhaust system and I usually sit around 11.6L/100Km and that is in shitty traffic.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
firstly before you start comparing fuel you also have to add in the avg kph for that fuel reading.
Like 21L/100klm@23avg kph would be about right but 21 say at 30+ would be excessive.
My LS2 6.0L get 21-23 @ 23-24kph in Sydney inner city traffic but gets 11 on the Pacific highway (not very flat anywhere) with 3.73 gears, 4 sp auto.

thatbrynguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Commodore SS 5.7L M6
Appreciate your responses so far guys.

Surf wagon, you have a point, I find that can sometimes be a little inaccurate as well though. For example, if I spend an hour driving in heavy traffic in a 60km zone, and then spend 15 minutes driving at 80kmh with no stopping, my fuel consumption drops more significantly than the average speed rises. Just as long as I've got some idea how people are driving to get the figures I should have something to go by.

VY Sleeper, what sort of roads do you travel on in a week? How often would you leave a 60kmh zone? The only time I'll ever get a figure that low after driving around all week in town is to go and do a 500km trip at 110kmh with out resetting the trip computer. If I reset the trip computer whilst I'm at 110kmh on that trip it'll go down to 9.5L/100Km.

Axemurderer101, same question to you, in a week where you get 16-17L/100Km how often do you leave a 60km zone? And how clear is the traffic for you generally? The only way I can get 16-17L/100Km is by driving at 60kmh in 5th gear for a good 10-15 minutes straight. As soon as I'm stopping and starting again though, up it goes, 18, 19, 20...

Cheers guys.

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
15l per 100km and an average of 44km. Thats in a 04 VY2 SS with a full Rage exhaust system. I recently replaced the o2's, ignition leads and spark plugs which improved my fuel economy. It was sitting at around 17.9 before the replacements. Thats around town and open road combined.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
gday
remember fuel from different outlets will give differing figures I have found in the past as they may be playing with the fuel
in average daily driving which is a mixture of open roads at 105 on cruise control and round town I usualy end up with 13-14 litres per 100km's over 400-500km's
I recently drove all open road on the long weekend here maintaining roughly 105 or so and returned 10litres per hundred on the way there and just under 11litres per hundred on the way back in basically the same conditions,fuel was shell one way and woollies(Caltex) the way back.
if you were to run premium you would find a little better economy on the road but not a lot of difference around town imo
as previously stated driving conditions,fuel,how heavy you are on the foot etc will all make a difference,also a good tune up,lube and oil changes etc will also help
all just my opinion hope this helps
cheers corey

VY_Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commy pos
I drive to & from Windsor to Rosehill everyday on the Old Windsor Road then James Ruse Drive, traffic is a bitch! but sometimes it opens up and I go anywhere from 60km/hr to 90km/hr

VRStato64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS II 6 speed
I have only had mine a few days. But this is what im getting.

Series 2. CAI, extractors, exhaust, mafless tune and liquid injection LPG. O and manual.

So far been getting about 15l/100. My most common routes are. 15mins to work in suburban areas and 1hour to uni which is 70% highway.
Which seems about right since My old and dying vr stato v6 got 13l/100 with thoughs routes.

I reckon ill be able to drop my consumption a bit once I get used to the car though.