Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What fuel do you use?

jimmygrussell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE
Hi guys, recently picked up my Redline and was wondering what fuel to use. Was wondering if anyone had noticed any significant differences between fuel brands etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1SIKR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK -Project-, VX R8 Clubsport
I usually run 98 octain ( 95 if I can't get to 98 ) in my R8. As for brands I think it comes down to personal preference because really their all the same ( the big companys like shell, BP, caltex ) I tend to stay away from independent servo's. But that's just me
Enjoy the redline bud

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I usually run 98 octain ( 95 if I can't get to 98 ) in my R8. As for brands I think it comes down to personal preference because really their all the same ( the big companys like shell, BP, caltex ) I tend to stay away from independent servo's. But that's just me
Enjoy the redline bud
First it's octane. Second fuels are not all the same, we have tested most of the majors in my car and it gets BP98 only now. It was the cleanest and most consistent. Independents don't make fuel out the back, it is supplied by the majors so in theory is no better or worse then them, only consideration is product turn over and in turn how fresh the product is.

cfour

Reaction score
Members Ride
Coming Soon
First it's octane. Second fuels are not all the same, we have tested most of the majors in my car and it gets BP98 only now. It was the cleanest and most consistent. Independents don't make fuel out the back, it is supplied by the majors so in theory is no better or worse then them, only consideration is product turn over and in turn how fresh the product is.

I am using Shell V-Power at the moment, interested to know how it compared to the BP98?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6

this is true , I fill up at a high volume station , that is a high traffic volume station , the only one I avoid is Caltex , usually fill up at Mobil or Z Energy , used to be Shell NZ , 95 or 98 RON should be your fuel of choice for a car like the Redline , as for brand that's up to you .

BOOST666

Classic not plastic
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
'79 VB SL/E 253, VY SS II
I use 7Eleven E10... Only the best for my cars...

Seriously tho, agree with Airstrike, I used Caltex Vortex98 for a long time as I had a fuel card with them, for the last 9 months I've used BP Ultimate98 almost exclusively, I'll use other 98's if I need it to get me home, I get better economy with BP98.

Freestyla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redoine
All I've been using since picking up my redline is BP98, another vote, no probs here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I am using Shell V-Power at the moment, interested to know how it compared to the BP98?
Was too inconsistent in my setup, would be perfect one tank and idle and carry on the next. Was fairly clean.
On the topic of clean, will never use caltex again. The amount of crap that came out of the fuel filter would turn anyone off.
We put a new filter between each fuel type and ran 6 tanks to make sure all the old was out of the system.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
^^ This. I used Caltex for yonks cos it's only up the street. Thought the black **** in the filter was normal. Then one day I threw in $30 and bam, ping central, was stuck under 3k rpm, which really sucked, my car is all N/A like under 3k rpm (I'm being overly-dramatic to make a point).

On advice from AS and Wraith, started running BPU 98RON, it's an amazing difference. No black ****, better idle and all round the car became more balanced. Has never pinged since, every tank has the same result. Just sucks balls that the closest servo is over 10kms away.