Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What fuel economy do you get on your V6?

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
around town i get 11.5lt/100km highway i get around 7-8lt/100km
got a vr exec v6 auto with extractors 2 1/2" exhaust cold air intake and a chip

covert77

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn berlina
my best is 14l/100km and worst is 20l/100km. but i don't care what my mates say about having a small chicks car for cheap fuel consumption, i prefer my beast!

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
I have a VT stock 6, driven back from Adelaide today and I got over 700km per tank. Only filled it up 3 times and still got half a tank left :)

I was running it on 92 octane bloody fuel prices was $1.45 a litre. I was sitting on 2k rpm just crusing at 100kmp/h - 110kmp/h. Overtaking at 3k rpm at 120km/p. With 1 passenger and 1 big tool box in the boot.

Last edited:

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
yeah maniac, you'll find long journies are very ecconomical,

i got 768km / 50L when i went to NSW and back.... cruize control sitting on just under 2000 rpm (1900rpm)

around town im lucky to get 350km/55L
computer says i get 16-16.5L/100km
but then again i drive 30 mins in peak hour traffic twice a day... lots of stopping and starting, then flooring it to make a gap.... especially when the engines not lubricated properly, if its not in operating temp it will be a chugger on fuel

converting to LPG in 2-3 weeks so im not too fussed

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
MaN|aC said:
I have a VT stock 6, driven back from Adelaide today and I got over 700km per tank. Only filled it up 3 times and still got half a tank left :)

I was running it on 92 octane bloody fuel prices was $1.45 a litre. I was sitting on 2k rpm just crusing at 100kmp/h - 110kmp/h. Overtaking at 3k rpm at 120km/p. With 1 passenger and 1 big tool box in the boot.
That is something that confuses me, The VT is better with the ecotec on fuel over a Buick V6 VN-VP-VR. But your 100kp/h rpm @ 2000rpm is more then what i would sit at, And that confuses me to why the Buick V6 wasn't as good on the highways?. @ 100kp/h i sit @ 1700-1800rpm.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
My vn 5sp manual sits on 1900rpm at 100.

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
I have been told that engines are most fuel economic at the point where they produce most torque. I suppose it's because it requires least effort if you have to accelerate at that point.

If you drive a manual at 40kph in 5th gear, you will get worse fuel economy than if you were doing the same speed in 3rd.

To accelerate at the same rate, you would also have to put your foot down a lot harder if you were in 5th rather than 3rd. I reckon that's also what makes the fuel economy worse.

Does that make any sense or am I gibbering?

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Shortstuff said:
I have been told that engines are most fuel economic at the point where they produce most torque. I suppose it's because it requires least effort if you have to accelerate at that point.

If you drive a manual at 40kph in 5th gear, you will get worse fuel economy than if you were doing the same speed in 3rd.

To accelerate at the same rate, you would also have to put your foot down a lot harder if you were in 5th rather than 3rd. I reckon that's also what makes the fuel economy worse.

Does that make any sense or am I gibbering?
Your saying because a 5 speed in in 5th @ 45kp/h is only labouring the car, When in a lower gear with more revs it's going easier on it:D
hows that:D

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Thats the one! My brain has gone to sleep before the rest of me:D

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Shortstuff said:
Thats the one! My brain has gone to sleep before the rest of me:D
:D:D
I only knew what you were saying cause my SH nephew was driving his mums 5 speed proton @ 35-45kp/h in 5th gear thinking it would save petrol, When he looked at the Trip it was going up and up, So i said to him don't go into 5th unless your going over 60kp/h or even 70+.
He then went back to 4th and the fuel started to drop slowly:D. But he never learnt still