Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what grade of oil to use

rocket0000

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
hi guys just wondering what the correct grade of oil to run in a vx 2001 done 140000 km?????

note: dealers recommend 10w30. am just a little bit confused bout 2 brands first is gtx3 15w40 and magnatec 10w40 , as am gonna do service myself.

thanks

Last edited:

rocket0000

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
its too expensive. and for dealers they always say use Valvoline 10w30. but that the wrong choice for a car done 140000km.

MR_VX

Forced to be Fast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac SII Raptorcharged
$70 for a bottle of oil is cheap compaired what holden would charge to do the service.
and if you cant spend that on oil you must not care much for your car

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
oils oil pretty much as long as its the right thickness i run 20/50 gulf western costs me $14NZ a 4L i use it in everything so does the local mechanic if you take your car there its coming out with gulf western no matter what car it is LOL.if anythings going to die from bad oil its going to be one of the many turbo commodores with 150000-300000km engines that i feed with gulf western.we pulled one down to fit a new cam and do the heads pulled a couple of bearing caps looked like new so just put them back on and ran it again.if you were running a v8 with flat tappet cam ide be more picky on the oil so it doesnt wipe cam lobes.

rocket0000

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
guys i went 2day to autobarn a guys asked me how many km on car i told him 140000km he said go for gtx3 15w40. another guy from same store said noway go for 20w50. left then and went to supercheap one guy said go for penrite 10w50 . i mean what the hek man am really confused . and used to do service at dealer they used to put Valvoline 10w30 engine Armour.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Just get some 10w40 magnatec, cheap but it works.

vs commo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
use a 10 or 15-40 and if ur that worryed about gettn it right look in the user manual or ask holden wat letter they use e.g se,sg,sh etc cause manufactures change these letters depending on the additives they use for ur vehicle(anti-foaming agents,detergents etc)thats the main things that matter.if the oil u use is to thing u will use more fuel and put more strain on the engine.until u reach say 230-250 (unless u start to burn alot which older engines can do) id stick with no higher than 40 and the first number the lower the better cause the lower it is the quicker it lubricates parts on start up there for reducing engine wear.hope this helps