Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What happened to the Brisbane Holden plant?

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
BWAHahahahahahahahahahahahah.... School Holidays are so much fun.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Is 6 years a new record?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
yet an interesting thread that I'd never read before. Devil's post was relevant and asked for something that would further contribute to the thread. I remember fondly watching VL's getting built at Dandenong in the mid 80's and going back there to HSPO in 2000 working on the VU Ute project.

Reaper.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
The Acacia Ridge plant closed in 1985, according to "Holden History", by Tony Davis, Ewan Kennedy and Alistair Kennedy.

The last models to be built there were;

TG Gemini
JB Camira
VH Commodore
WB Statesman
WB Ute/One Tonner/Panel Van

Pagewood closed in 1980 (I'd like 5 minutes with the bastard who made that call!) the last models to be built there were;

TD Gemini
UC Torana/Sunbird
VB Commodore
HZ Kingswood/Premier/GTS
HZ Statesman
HZ Ute/One Tonner/Panel Van
HZ Sandman

Dandenong closed in 1988 (I think it was '88). Last models were;

RB Gemini
JE Camira
VL Commodore

That's my contribution.

Note: The last of models built at those factories are my guesses, not views expressed in the book.

Cheers.

I worked at the Dandenong plant from 1975 to 1988 as a MIG welder ,Lead wiper and Panel finisher. They built the LX - LH Toranas The UC sunbird and the Commodore from VB through to VL but i don't recall the Gemini ever being built there . There were HZ series ute shells that were shipped down from Pagewood that were put on the production line then fitted out .

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
I worked at the Dandenong plant from 1975 to 1988 as a MIG welder ,Lead wiper and Panel finisher. They built the LX - LH Toranas The UC sunbird and the Commodore from VB through to VL but i don't recall the Gemini ever being built there . ................ .

RB Geminis were never put together (they came in CKD) at Acacia Ridge..it was shut then
as was pagewood . There was only Dandy and Elizabeth left when the change to the R series
took place (when T car stopped) and as the planning was in place to close Dandy VAP
so Elizabeth in SA assembled RBs...

hth

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Smitty - did you ever get a chance to look over the info I sent your way a while back?

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Our old VC SL came from Acacia Ridge, the old guy who owned it worked there and it was his company car that he took at retirement, we bought it about 15 odd years ago, after he moved to Melbourne. The service book is stamped as being serviced at 'G.M.H. Service Garage Acacia Ridge'.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
I guess this is a bit old to reply, but so what. I used to work at a grocery warehouse in Acacia Ridge, on Fox Rd. We were told that it used to be the Holden factory. It's a massive building, it also housed another warehouse area up one end and a steel works at the other. Marks on the floor show there was some large equipment there at one stage, and there is a tunnel under the building that was apparently where the trains could be loaded/unloaded from above that was later covered over. Looks like it matches the diagram in the brochure. There were also toilets/showers above the factory floor, one of which didn't have stairs anymore. A few night shift workers swear they saw ghosts around there. Well I believed the story (about it being the Holden plant), so that would mean the building is still there. I believe the administration building was Woolworths offices at that stage from memory.

Fox Road, Acacia Ridge, Queensland, Australia - Google Maps