Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What has happened to head units?

albert5268

Texas Hacksaw Massacre
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII LS1 6 spd
Ipods trump the USB for storage - 160Gb for Ipod vs maybe 8Gb for a USB stick.

I have a 32Gb stick which cost me a whole lot less than a 160Gb iPod which i use to play music and videos on my xbox and or my head unit, can't do that with an iPod...

Bilbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Sportwagon
who cares about stand alone, hmm, listen to music with puny crappy headphones or ear plugs, or listen to music thru a few 300W speakers with maybee 1 or 2 800W Subs, while enjoying the breeze in your hair, the feel of the road, the purr of 8 4" pots thru a tuned length 2 1/2" port and a couple of your mates being able to hear the same thing without their head being 2" away from your with a wire joining the 2 of you together? Ill chose the car option thanks :thumbsup:

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Some people actually like to listen to music outside their car as well as inside it. Can you plug your USB stick or drive into your head while your outside your car?

They both have their uses, you're a spastic if you can't see the benefit of a portable music player.

Bilbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Sportwagon
Well, i do listen to music when im outside my car now that i think of it, i listen to the radio while im at work, sorry, but i just see Ipods and the like as antisocial devices that encourage people to keep to them selves and not talk to people, i see them everywhere, walking down the street, driving thir cars, off in their own planet, in fact one idiot almost wiped me out this mornin when he crossed double white lines, and came onto my side of the road, and i had to resort to the gravel on the side of the road to avoid..... a MESS, whats wrong with going somewhere, and striking up a conversation with someone, not you ipod :p

albert5268

Texas Hacksaw Massacre
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII LS1 6 spd
It's also 1/5 the capacity and can't be used stand alone...

Well to compare the capacity you would really have to compare it to the non-volatile flash memory ipods not the HDD ones. Pity you can't plug in a USB HDD into a headunit... wats the point when they bringing out hu's with HDD in them anyway. Stand alone is what my mobiley is for.... mind you that only holds 8GB :cry:

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
Why not? JVC headunits definetely support this, I've seen it happen.

I tried this with a couple of units at autobahn. The hard drive would not fire up and all I can think of is the unit does not supply the power required.

I think if you got power to the drive it might work.

50LTRv8

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Well, i do listen to music when im outside my car now that i think of it, i listen to the radio while im at work, sorry, but i just see Ipods and the like as antisocial devices that encourage people to keep to them selves and not talk to people, i see them everywhere, walking down the street, driving thir cars, off in their own planet, in fact one idiot almost wiped me out this mornin when he crossed double white lines, and came onto my side of the road, and i had to resort to the gravel on the side of the road to avoid..... a MESS, whats wrong with going somewhere, and striking up a conversation with someone, not you ipod :p
I know several people who have an FM adapter for their iPod, so it gets used in their car, on other people's home stereo, like card's nights, parties, etc. It's just more versitile than a USB stick because it can be used anywhere. I've never seen either of those friends even use it with the ear-buds, they only use it with stereos.

Well to compare the capacity you would really have to compare it to the non-volatile flash memory ipods not the HDD ones.
Why? We were comparing the devices ability to store and play music... The type of storage means nothing. If I had the choice of 1GB-32GB flash drives or 1GB-160GB iPod, I know i'd pick the larger capacity for sure.

I don't even own an iPod or plan to own one, but I can see it's much more versatile for music than a plain old USB flash drive or USB hard drive.

albert5268

Texas Hacksaw Massacre
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII LS1 6 spd
In the way of storage space maybe but the majority of my devices i use in my home, at work and in my car all are USB capable. Not a single one has an iPod interface. Plus i can play divx movies in my car or on my xBox straight off of the USB drive.... thats versatile.