Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what have i done wrong here with my spray painting??

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
im painting my bonnet, what i stuff up??
stripped back to metal, put on etch primer, sanded a bit, put on a 2 pack iso free primer/isolator a few coats, sanded back smooth with 800 paper, put on guide coat to make sure it all, sanded of all the guide coat so there is no scratches left in it.
Put on the base coat acrylic black metallic 50/50 paint to thinners
Put on second layer base coat 15 minutes later as per specs, looks like ****. second coat look worse than first, what i done wrong???
looking at it closely it looks like it hasnt had any paint come out the gun as it appears to be undercoat you are seeing as grey and im like WTF?? i used 300ml paint and 300ml thinners on each coat i did and its got coverage.
anyone know what i have done wrong??
i did around 60-70% overlap on each pass, kept a wet line enough not to cause a run.

Attachments

• coat 1.JPG
    coat 1.JPG
    574.8 KB · Views: 419
  • coat 2.JPG
    coat 2.JPG
    485.1 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_1572.JPG
    IMG_1572.JPG
    505.8 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_1570.JPG
    IMG_1570.JPG
    618.3 KB · Views: 394

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Does that pattern correspond with the braces under the bonnet?

If so then it might have been a panel temperature issue?

What did you do in the way of surface prep (cleanliness-wise) before each session?

Are you sure that 2-pack primer (and/or guide coat) is compatible with acrylic paint?

Andrew

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
Does that pattern correspond with the braces under the bonnet?
If so then it might have been a panel temperature issue?
looks quite similar, how do you fix that? its been under shade all day long, thought would be same temperature
What did you do in the way of surface prep (cleanliness-wise) before each session?
stripped to bare metal, did the prepwash using the metal cleaner, wax and grease remover then etch primer over that.
light sanding then wax and grease remover then put on 2 pack iso free primer/isolator
then black guide coat
then sanded it all with 800 wet paper to a perfect finish
then wax grease remover over the surface
then sprayed the black base coat and watched it stuff up
Are you sure that 2-pack primer (and/or guide coat) is compatible with acrylic paint?
yes same manufacturer and recommended acrylic and primer for each other. guide coat just used a spray can of acrylic to spray i had in the shed a light coat and its all gone in the sanding process.

im starting to think i used a too big tip maybe of 1.7 when i should go 1.4 or something and wrong ratio 50/50 thinner and base coat.
the paper says 150 parts thinner to 100 parts acrylic, what ratio is that?? 1.5 to 1? so more than 50% thinners aint it? if i used 300ml of black i would have to use 450ml thinners??

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have used acrylic at 50/50 and sometimes 60/40, even 70/30. I normally make sure I get shine off the gun, which means getting it pretty wet but with metalic its a fair bit harder to apply as you need to create lift of the flake. I don't think the tip was too big. I could be wrong but it looks like it has dried before it settled/melted. Is that what you're thinking?

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
To me, it looks like you have flooded the paint (too wet) and the metallic has pooled and separated. Metallic basecoat doesn't need to be applied as wet as possible...it needs to be applied as even as possible. If you see your metallic separating then wait for the coat to dry and you can then apply a lighter, more even coat next...even a dust coat (to correct the metallic). When you are applying your clear, remember to not flood your first coat as this can mess up your metallic too. You need a nice medium first coat to hold the metallic in place before to start bombing clear on...at least in my experience.

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
To me, it looks like you have flooded the paint (too wet) and the metallic has pooled and separated. Metallic basecoat doesn't need to be applied as wet as possible...it needs to be applied as even as possible. If you see your metallic separating then wait for the coat to dry and you can then apply a lighter, more even coat next...even a dust coat (to correct the metallic). When you are applying your clear, remember to not flood your first coat as this can mess up your metallic too. You need a nice medium first coat to hold the metallic in place before to start bombing clear on...at least in my experience.
that makes perfect sense, thanks for that. yes i do believe i was putting metallic on too wet after watching quite a few vids tonight on youtube, different to putting on solids. will sand back a bit and give another go when weather clears up here. i will remember the clear tip as well.

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
just sanding it back today with 400, will go 1000 tomorrow, it is very tempting to clear coat it now, its all black and even, no grey spots anywhere, looks beautiful, but i will do it properly and get most back to undercoat.

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
can someone give me some feedback on this painting i did today? far better and more even than first attempt.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps

As chuckmeister said, applying metallic paint is all about getting even coverage across your layers, then have a bit of fun with your mist coat to get a nice, even metallic fleck finish. This can also mask some coverage inconsistencies. Properly applied acrylic base coats should be matte/satin, not shiny off the gun. Also 2k and acrylic don't like each other, so that might have been the issue in original post?