Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What Holden was thinking about (Change you Coolant on a VE V6)

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Well yesterday I decided to change the coolant on the VE V6 (possible VF too) and I got a Shock. Firstly I removed the Intake pipe from the Air Cleaner for ease, secondly I disconnected the Hose on bottom left hand side of the car and only around 3 ltrs of coolant came out.
Now after this I got suspicious of this that something is odd so I got on the Computer Googled for a answer and I got a shock from members on this site telling the way that you can replace some of the Fluid but not all.
Yes I know this engine in the US is east west combo and I know Holden Dealers use air to remove most of the Coolant in the Engine.
Question!
Now it looks like both entry and exit of the coolant of the engine are up the top not like most earlier engines that have one up the top and the other one CLOSE to the bottom so am I right? and this is the reason why coolant its trapped and only air can remove most of it.
Does any one know the Path, the water that runs from the filler which is the Very top of the V6 with that plastic recovery cap.>>> from recovery cap,,,, through the radiator,,,,,, to the bottom hose,,,, goes into the engine via that pipe on the left , so on so on.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There is a dump tap on the bottom of the radiator. If you look underneath it will be easily spotted. No need to undo hoses etc.

If you think you are going to remove the thermostat like we used to do, wrong. You have to get the gearbox out or remove all the shrouds at the bottom of the windscreen and even the panels around the cabin air intake, then spend 10 hours wishing you took the gearbox out as you attempt to get the thermostat out.

You will need to bleed the air out when replacing the coolant. That is the shitest job ever.

It’s not about what were they thinking. It’s about how nearly all modern cars are put together. That’s how the manufacturers roll.
Maybe we need to change our thinking around advancements.

So with that in mind, it certainly won’t be to the detriment of the car to accept the designed limitations and work with them.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
As for the path, It goes through the heads, then to the thermostat jammed in the back.
Then back round.
The heater hoses come from the thermostat housing.

You can flush the heater core separately by undoing the heater hose clips where they exit the pipes (from the thermostat housing) on the drivers side. The heater hoses will then pull off. Make sure you note which hose goes to what first.

That's as good as your going to do I think.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
There is a dump tap on the bottom of the radiator. If you look underneath it will be easily spotted. No need to undo hoses etc.

Thank you for that as I did not know the VE had a dump valve. I will have sticky tomorrow.
Yes I got bad vibes on removing the Thermostat on the Ve and VF after looking at some Video's.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Changing the coolant is quite simple unless you are really paranoid about leaving a little bit of the old coolant in the system and having the wrath of the GM God's cast an evil spell upon you for it.
After you drain the radiator by undoing the plug I just hose the system out as best I can. Then fill up with tap we water and run engine for 5 minutes to circulate the water and dilute the remaining coolant. Don't forget to top it up as air comes out.
Then drain it again. Now either be happy with that or fill it up with water 1 more time and repeat the process. Be weary about filling a hot engine with cold water.
I buy the coolant concentrate and pour half the specified total volume of the system in the radiator cap and run the engine again and top up with water. Use demineralized water if you are keen.
Bleed using the top little tiny hose in front of the radiator ( near the grille )

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Has anyone had issue with a slight leak around the thread area on that Plastic Radiator cap. I purchased this new Cap 2 months agoand has a slight leak, I tightened the cap with my hand only which at 69 years young is not tight. Can use Thread tape to seal it?
Similar like the Below (Not Genuine Holden)
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tridon-...m2321009da4:g:DA0AAOSwIVVcp0yz&frcectupt=true
I had exactly the same problem ,original one's threads were stripped so bought one from supercheap,then it started leaking,red stains everywhere ,then got one from Holden (revised cap (part no:13502509) and cheaper then SC),all good now.

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Same here, I've tried 2or 3 non genuine caps and they were all faulty, don't seal
And I have bought 2 or 3 from Holden and they work perfectly. Don't bother with aftermarket caps for these.
Also none of the aftermarket caps would not hold any pressure at all.

Last edited:

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Same here, I've tried 2or 3 non genuine caps and they were all faulty, don't seal
And I have bought 2 or 3 from Holden and they work perfectly. Don't bother with aftermarket caps for these.
Also none of the aftermarket caps would hold any pressure at all.
agreed the supershit ones leak, get genuine