Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what i won

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
hey people. i just won a complete diff assembly from a vl V8. it is the whole housing with diff centre, axles and disc brakes. i won it for $255 off ebay. do you guys think this is a good buy for my turbo project?

Nobody Actually

luxo barge
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 wm Caprice
certainly is, but you'll probably be needing a custom tail shaft made to mate it up to the jatco box i'm guessing.

either way though, it'll be able to handle what you're intending on throwing at it.

btw, what happened to that vl you were meant to be getting in trade for yours? the v8?

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
i went and had a look at the car and it was pretty rough. needed a full respray. it wasn't a calais like he said. and it had the blue interior that i don't like.

anyway, i could have bought a 9" for $500 but i was told it might be too heavy and chew some power to turn it so i jumped at the V8 diff. it is the same as the turbo diff isn't it?

i am also puting a manual box in which i have the tailshaft for but is the end of it different for a v8?

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
It is the same, just with a 3.08 ratio not the 3.45 like the turbo diff.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
isn't the NA vl ratio 3.08 too? how expensive would it be to change the ratio if i wanted too? i was thinking of either puting LSD or mini spool into it as well.

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
all 6's were 3.45

Shouldnt be expensive to change ratio.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
well i'm pretty happy with the win. i've seen the diff housings go for $300 without the axles and the axles going for $600 for the pair. so $255 is a pretty good buy for the complete setup with discs as well.

BigDaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
not too bad at all, yeh the V8 diff's were 3.08 so yeh, just slap sum 4.11's in and ur set :yeah:

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
well my mate Big Tim from 'MacArthur tyre and mechanical' will probably pick it up for me so i'll see if they do diff rebuilds and get him to change the ratio, put in a minispool or lsd, new bearings, etc. i'll put new rotors on out here so they don't get damaged in transit. i may even get him to get the housing sent off and powdercoated while its all pulled apart.

unfortunately this current purchase has delayed the gearbox swap even further. worth it in the long run though.