Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What if I need to re-open the manifold or plenum?

CJAff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Acclaim
So I'm pretty close on getting a 25mm manifold insulator and 12mm plenum spacer (which I believe is the correct combo for a VYII V6 ECOTEC?), but reading through the forums I can't seem to find any reference to re-opening the manifold or plenum.

Is the gasket sealant like a glue, or does it just create an air tight seal on the top and bottom of the insulator/spacers? If there's any problems down the road, can you just reopen the manifold and plenum with ease?

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Hey man that's a good combo for an ecotec, you just use gasket goo. If you do it properly you shouldn't need to pull the manifold off again, but if you need to its easy.

Do yourself a favour and have your injectors reco'd at the same time and get a tune, the manifold insulator will throw the fuelling out a tad.

Sent from my HTC

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
The manifold insulator (assuming Mace) will come with blue RTV silicone. I'd be sure to use that over gasket goo and leave the rubber o rings in the plenum. I've had mine on for about 30k and have pulled it off once to replace the PCV, no issues, easy to clean up with a razor blade. I'll be pulling it off again shortly to fit a reverse plenum so we'll see what round two goes like. The trick is to cut a V in the nozzle and put it on neatly and evenly.

Agreed with Nathan, do your injectors while you're there, I picked up a new set of genuine Bosch from eBay for $180 when I did mine, cheaper than reco.

I can't speak for the plenum insulator, don't have one.

MACE

Reaction score
So I'm pretty close on getting a 25mm manifold insulator and 12mm plenum spacer (which I believe is the correct combo for a VYII V6 ECOTEC?), but reading through the forums I can't seem to find any reference to re-opening the manifold or plenum.

Is the gasket sealant like a glue, or does it just create an air tight seal on the top and bottom of the insulator/spacers? If there's any problems down the road, can you just reopen the manifold and plenum with ease?
The sealant we supply does have strong adhesive properties, and can be a little hard to pull apart. However if you carefully pry apart the insulator/spacer with a wide bladed flat screw driver, carefully working your way around the spacer perimeter, it will come apart with ease.

To prepare the insulator/spacer for re-installation

*Remove residual silicone off the mating surfaces with a sharp blade (something like a box cutter blade)
*Clean mating surfaces with prepsol
*Reinstall insulator/spacer as per fitting instructions

Hope this helps

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask

Kindest Regards,
Steve

MACE

Reaction score
Last edited:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
$180 for a set sounds like a good deal lol. I had a quick search on ebay and I can only find genuine BOSCH ones for about $60-$70 ea. I found these though (would they be dodgey?): 6 FUEL INJECTORS HOLDEN STATESMAN COMMODORE VN VQ VP VR VS VT VU VX VY V6 3.8L | eBay

Yea, the more I look the luckier I feel, what ridiculous prices. Seems to come and go in waves on eBay.

Agreed with Mace, Personally I also wouldn't be comfortable with anything other than genuine injectors, tried and proven. Keep your eye on eBay but failing that in your situation I'd reco the existing.

CJAff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Acclaim
Yeah i'm thinking a reco on them would be the cheaper option at the moment. Thanks guys!!