Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what is a good sound system for my VY ute?

jamieeVYs04

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 series II VY S ute
$2000 is a very modest budget and you could end up with a very nice system providing the installation is top notch. Will you be doing it or will you get a professional to install it?

definitely not installing it myself. i probably could, but i would prefer a nicely done top notch installation. knowing me, ill put a wrong wire somewhere and blow something up

C4L4IS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR '93 Calais
definitely not installing it myself. i probably could, but i would prefer a nicely done top notch installation. knowing me, ill put a wrong wire somewhere and blow something up

Friend of mine has a VY ute, he took it to JB Hifi and spent around 1400 on a set of 6" splits for the front, 6x9's in boxes for the rears all amped. Don't know his specs, but they take a pounding and don't crackle when wound up. He already had a head unit installed before this.
He went for pioneer speakers i believe.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
If you want all one brand. Go for alpine type r gear (loud) or type s (not as loud but better sound quality).

Decent components(in the front) and a sub are plenty for a sedan. Will be fine in a ute.

6x9s effectively do what a sub and some read fill do, but not as well. They pointless of you have a sub

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
If you want all one brand. Go for alpine type r gear (loud) or type s (not as loud but better sound quality).

How so? Please explain.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
How so? Please explain.

Can't find it online. But type r is geared towards spl competitions. Type s is geared towards SQL. For example type s components are bi-amp able

jamieeVYs04

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 series II VY S ute

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Sigh. Please do not waste your money on a JB Hi-Fi install.

I noticed you are in Melbourne. Head on down to Phatt Audio Concepts (Unit 1 / 11 Heland Place, Braeside PH: (03) 95801282) or Riverside Customs (Unit 2, 49-55 Riverside Ave, Werribee PH: (03) 97310144).

Show them the car, give them the budget, tell them what you want to achieve with the system ("i just want clear sounding music when being blasted and some bass") and let them talk you through what they feel is the best option.

JB Hi-Fi is not the place to go, unless you want a sub-par installation with sub-par products.

jamieeVYs04

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 series II VY S ute
I noticed you are in Melbourne. Head on down to Phatt Audio Concepts (Unit 1 / 11 Heland Place, Braeside PH: (03) 95801282) or Riverside Customs (Unit 2, 49-55 Riverside Ave, Werribee PH: (03) 97310144).

Show them the car, give them the budget, tell them what you want to achieve with the system ("i just want clear sounding music when being blasted and some bass") and let them talk you through what they feel is the best option.

sounds easy enough, cheers!

butch123

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu/vy maloo
I have a Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow sub in custom made box behind drivers seat and a Rockford Fosgate P400-4 amp under the passengers seat. I also have Alpine Type-R splits on the doors with a Alpine 2-din DVD player. I absolutely love my setup and can't fault it one bit!!