Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What Is an Oil Catch Can, and Why Doesn't Every Car Have One?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
^^ but it doesn’t hurt it.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Next time you have the bonnet up and the engine running remove the engine oil filler cap and listen to the revs rise.
But what does this rev change mean? Increased revs is released pressure and easier on engine therefore needs bigger breathers?? Drop in revs means vacuum and pcv is working great??

I've seen engines do this before. But I'm pretty sure my 355 does not care if the filler cap is on or off. Revs just sit the same irrespective of cap on/off.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
^^ but it doesn’t hurt it.

Maybe not in the short term but long term?

Like I said before, plenty of evidence on this forum that long term it does cause issues. Maybe more modern engine designs have better PCV systems but certainly not the older generation which includes ecotec/L67, Holden 304 as well as the LS1 engines which are renowned for filling the intake with oil. I've worked on a few engines in my time and I don't much like all the gunk that can accumulate on the intake system. EFI is the saving grace for the PCV system is it effectively washes the intake valve but anything carburated or TBI like my early V8 certainly does not like the oil on the valves.

But what does this rev change mean? Increased revs is released pressure and easier on engine therefore needs bigger breathers?? Drop in revs means vacuum and pcv is working great??

I've seen engines do this before. But I'm pretty sure my 355 does not care if the filler cap is on or off. Revs just sit the same irrespective of cap on/off.

Engine filler cap off effectively creates a vacuum leak (via the PCV system). Yours been MAP tuned it's not quiet so bad but with MAF based systems all of a sudden you are allowing a fair bit of un-metered air into the system.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
My combustion chambers after 220k. The carbon buildup was giving me extra compression :)

Whilst the motor ran fine, dumping boost on to this would have probably resulted in tears. Nothing will stop carbon, it's the nature of the beast but oil getting into the chamber exacerbates the issue. Besides the PCV I had some dead valve seals. End result was exhaust valves that wouldn't seal.

All in all not too awful for the kms. I gave the valve on the left a grind just to confirm my theory it could not be saved. EV8 stainless are a better choice for boost anyway.

pic25062017125152097~01~01.jpg

pic25062017125156170.jpg

pic24072017231038511.jpg

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
@Pollushon that looks disgusting, have you thought about using alcohol (in the car)? I mean eFlex and decent synthetic like GL-5 oil doesn't do that.

Hahaha, funny you should mention that, yes I absolutely will be using alcohol in the form of methanol as part of the water injection kit. I'd convert to straight E85 if I could but Canberra has two bowsers and she's my daily. Apparently after the tune on Thursday my combustion chambers will stay shiny and clean forever more :)

She cleaned up okay
pic02072017145730702.jpg

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
@Pollushon that looks disgusting, have you thought about using alcohol (in the car)? I mean eFlex and decent synthetic like GL-5 oil doesn't do that. Same effect with eight (or nine) alky injectors re cooling and knock.
Did you mean Penrite ENVIRO+ GF-5 5W-30?
I`m going to change to the above.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i had a issue with a couple valve stem seals going in mine (got pushed up) only found out by removing a spark plug one time and it having oil around it, put a camera into the cylinder and it was blackish where all others from E85 were clean, that also explained the slight difference in 02's bank to bank

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
Golly gosh.
That looks like more carbon build up than between the legs of the Eurobed old chick.