Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What Is an Oil Catch Can, and Why Doesn't Every Car Have One?

Courtney1986

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX commodore
I have a VX ecotec. Now I know I'm going to get absolutely no power gains from a stock V6. But I'm looking at making the engine last longer, as up until 3 months ago it belonged to a granny. Are these catch cans worth it in the sense that it keeps your engine cleaner for longer which intern stretches out the life.
I'm not going for more power out of this engine, just want it to last a lot longer while I build my L67. And any other tips on how to keep the engine cleaner for longer would be great too.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I have a VX ecotec. Now I know I'm going to get absolutely no power gains from a stock V6. But I'm looking at making the engine last longer, as up until 3 months ago it belonged to a granny. Are these catch cans worth it in the sense that it keeps your engine cleaner for longer which intern stretches out the life.
I'm not going for more power out of this engine, just want it to last a lot longer while I build my L67. And any other tips on how to keep the engine cleaner for longer would be great too.
If your planning on replacing the engine anyway I probably wouldn’t bother but for the mean time you could remove the throttle body and give it a good clean with throttle body cleaner, just make sure remove the idle control valve and throttle sensor first and you can also get intake cleaner which you spray into the intake (or directly into the throttle body which I do) with the engine running to clean all the crap out

MACE

Reaction score
Hi there,
Hope you're doing well,

An oil catch is a safe investment considering it can boost your manifold and valves life. It can filter out the oil/fuel residue that builds up due to the blowback. The best thing is that you keep your engine sealed and keep using your existing PCV so it is completely legal too. We would definitely recommend you to get an oil catch can.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
Ben