Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is Best Battery

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Run the ACDelco s57220 in both mind and the better half’s VE - never had any issues - cost around $150ea for memory

VIRGOMONKEY

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT ACCLAIM V6 WAGON. 2017 VF 2 REDLINE WAGON.
I personally stick with the AC Delco brand and have found that the S57038EFB has been fantastic as it withstands constant unlocking of the car to maintain a charge of above 12V for dash cam use in parking mode. The standard S56838 and S57220 unfortunately aren't able to do that. However that's a very specific need and in general you won't go wrong with a standard 600 CCA battery like the S56838. Make sure
when you select a battery to choose the appropriate one with a vent to connect to the vented tube in the boot (there's a video on YouTube of some bright spark replacing his with a non vented battery that was also the wrong size).
Hi,
thanks for your clear advice there as i have dash cam also that does continues recording in park state and have original battery about to hit just over 3 years and see the problem you mention even though i have a blackvue cam with the voltage cutout module. Opening a door makes the voltage dip a bit to make the voltage threshold of dashcam unit shutdown.

I see the heavier duty S57220 SMF version is available at amcap and also the S57038 EFB version at a +40 dollar higher cost.

But would like your advice since you raised a good point here, will the existing charging control circuitry/ algorithm suit these EFB TYPE BATTERIES if you go this deep cycle way?. Appreciate your thoughts or any one out there that knows the vf2 charging design.

Last edited:

I Wish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, Nitrate Silver Wagon
I have an Optima Yellowtop H6 in my wagon for almost a year now and have had no problems whatsoever with the oem charging system.
Also have one of those Matson Battery monitors on it and have never seen the alternator charge over 15V.
The trick is with any battery is to throw a charger on it to top it whenever you have a chance.
I have been using a Victron battery charger on this one and it will allow you to tailor the charge rates to suit your battery instead of relying on the generic preprogrammed ones.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
But would like your advice since you raised a good point here, will the existing charging control circuitry/ algorithm suit these EFB TYPE BATTERIES if you go this deep cycle way?. Appreciate your thoughts or any one out there that knows the vf2 charging design.

Hi, I am no battery expert however I have now operated my S57038EFB since February 2020 and had 0 issues with operations and charging. However am still mindful when I open anything via my key fob, in particular the trunk as that seems to take the most amount of volts to just below the 12v threshold causing the dashcam to power off. Luckily both of my vehicles have the buttons on the doors, while I always open the boot via in internal button on the driver's door.

Also to note that my daily drive consists of slow-crawl traffic maximum 50kms/h (average probably 18km/h) for 20 mins one way so that is definitely not beneficial to the battery. I make sure that it is always charged to my Ctek MXS5.0 when I return home (and the EFB is charged as a normal battery, not AGM). Both the EFB and AGM options are listed as options via the AC Delco website for our vehicles so I can't see there being an issue (and I believe the Chevy SS for the American market got factory AGM batteries).

VIRGOMONKEY

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT ACCLAIM V6 WAGON. 2017 VF 2 REDLINE WAGON.
Hi, I am no battery expert however I have now operated my S57038EFB since February 2020 and had 0 issues with operations and charging. However am still mindful when I open anything via my key fob, in particular the trunk as that seems to take the most amount of volts to just below the 12v threshold causing the dashcam to power off. Luckily both of my vehicles have the buttons on the doors, while I always open the boot via in internal button on the driver's door.

Also to note that my daily drive consists of slow-crawl traffic maximum 50kms/h (average probably 18km/h) for 20 mins one way so that is definitely not beneficial to the battery. I make sure that it is always charged to my Ctek MXS5.0 when I return home (and the EFB is charged as a normal battery, not AGM). Both the EFB and AGM options are listed as options via the AC Delco website for our vehicles so I can't see there being an issue (and I believe the Chevy SS for the American market got factory AGM batteries).
Thanks for that...i will get one then. Yes its true in the ac delco catalogue for the vf2 6.2 lt they list a range of selected batteries and the spec shown for the efb version reads as a very high rate / endurance battery...thanks for the re assurance.

Panda69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SS-V Redline
I just replaced the battery in my VF Redline Wagon, as my mechanic said the AC Delco battery in it will need replacing soon when he serviced my car.

Went to Supercheap Auto and ordered a Century DIN65LHX MF, which comes with a 40 month warranty, CCA of 760, and a reserve capacity of 145 minutes and is a 77 ah battery. Wasn't cheap, but, I have always been a fan of Century Batteries....

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
I just replaced the battery in my VF Redline Wagon, as my mechanic said the AC Delco battery in it will need replacing soon when he serviced my car.

Went to Supercheap Auto and ordered a Century DIN65LHX MF, which comes with a 40 month warranty, CCA of 760, and a reserve capacity of 145 minutes and is a 77 ah battery. Wasn't cheap, but, I have always been a fan of Century Batteries....

If it’s this one at $233 on discount, that’s a fantastic deal:
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/century-din65lhx-mf-century-uhp-battery/SPO8315119.html

At 760CCA that is what the AC Delco AGM battery provides and I’m quite sure you’ll be spending a lot more than $233 for that one! Great one!

Panda69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SS-V Redline
If it’s this one at $233 on discount, that’s a fantastic deal:
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/century-din65lhx-mf-century-uhp-battery/SPO8315119.html

At 760CCA that is what the AC Delco AGM battery provides and I’m quite sure you’ll be spending a lot more than $233 for that one! Great one!

Yep, that is the one. Certainly worth getting one, especially now when on special for $233 at Supercheap Auto.

Would be a lot cheaper then the AC Delhi AGM 760 cca battery....