Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WHAT IS BETTER - Wagon Versus Sedan

kylo33710

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1995
ok, so i'm pretty new here as i have recently purchased 2 VS commodores, one is a 1995 sedan, one is a 1996 wagon, both have 27x,xxxkms, and both have average paint.
both cars need a small amount of work but i can swap the parts between the 2 to make one registerable car, my question is what am i going to have more fun in, the wagon or the sedan? i'm planning on lowering to super low and i like to do a burnout here and there but also like to drive fast on windy roads, now i'd imagine the sedan would be better but i like the idea of the wagon for sleeping/storage space. let me know the pros and cons of either a wagon or sedan, preferably by someone who has owned both and can compare them. thanks heaps

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Drive fast on windy roads in Commodore = suicide , regardless of what body shape.

kylo33710

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1995
i think my idea of fast is not suicide. for example my mums mazda 3 can go 80 in a corner i wouldnt like to go more then 60 in my corolla, would a commodore be worse then a mazda3 for handling? i always thought commodores where good for sticking to the road. one of the reasons i baught one over my corolla because i wanted a bit more power and grip. what about if i lowered the commodore on some 19s or something? thanks for your input

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 5 ltr Berlina Wagon
Wagon for me, but 5 litre makes it nicer.

kylo33710

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1995
I always thought commodore where good road gripping cars.. my idea of fast through winding roads is something i can achieve in my mums mazda 3 but not my corolla.. a commodore should handle as well if not better then a mazda 3 2012 right? also how much slower is a wagon compared to sedan?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I always found the build quality of the VR/VS wagons were a bit crap/rushed compared to the sedans.....not that either were built very well hehe

A wagon will be a little more boatish on the bends than the sedan, but both handle pretty badly unless big money is spent on them

I have done springs, shocks, strut brace, sway bars, nolathaned everything....still boaty in the tight corners.

If you like burnouts at least get a 5 litre.....nobody likes hearing mang mang 6 skids....it makes baby jesus cry....and if your a P plater don't do skids.....nothing worse than seeing a 16 year old with a god complex spin into a tree :p (I don't condone skids anywhere but a track, but the sad fact is most take it to the streets)

Last edited:

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
I have a vy wagon and later on down the track ill be seetting it up as a camper I like all the space

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I highly doubt a VS barge will out-handle a 2012 Mazda 3.

If you think a Commodore is a decent handling car, you clearly need to drive other types of cars.

But to answer your question, it really comes down to what body shape you like and will use. There will be very little difference in the two, both weigh about the same. And both weigh so much that a few kilograms higher up will hardly affect cornering.

kylo33710

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1995
wow i would have never guessed a mazda3 would out handle a commodore, makes me reconsider whether a commodore is the right car for me.. i want to do a burnout here and there which is no fun in a mazda 3, but
i also want a car that feels safe at high speeds on the highway (mazda 3 is scary past 140km imo whereas 200 in my mates XR6 feels like nothing)
and i want to be able to corner fairly quick in a predictable car, i don't expect it to handle as well as a stiff silvia but i would expect it to at least be as good as the mazda 3, am i wrong in thinking a commodore is the right car for me? and as for 6 burnouts i love the pissy sound they make, nothing compared to a grunty v8 or straight 6 but still love it :p

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Have no fear mate, with your high speed cornering, burnouts, and high speed driving, I think a commodore is the prefect car for you.

I really don't want to know why you want a car that is safe at 140km/h+, nor do I want to know where this high-speed cornering and burnouts are taking place.