Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what is holden by design mean

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Haha old thread i know, but I've recently purchased a 98 calais which has both the hsv and hbd plates under the bonnet above the drivers side headlight, as well as a small hsv badge on the boot under the calais badge. It has the 195i engine and hsv otr intake from factory, also has a few other bits and pieces which i know are the hbc options, but because it has the badge with as well as the 195i engine and the otr (which is also hsv badged) does this make mine a hsv enhanced calais?
Im wanting to do research on these cars, so anyone that can point me in the right direction would be appreciated.
Might be worth a shot......
HSV Gen-F / Authenticate your HSV

2greedy

VP Calais (SSV)
Reaction score
Website
www.designaglo.com
Members Ride
VY SS HBD6speed manual 5.7ltrs of manual GRUNT!!!
Holden by Design is NOOOOOOT Holden Special Vehicles.

Just so you know ;)
well i beg to differ? i have a 2004 VY SS SERIES II HBD that has a HSV sticker on the inside of the drivers door? and the vehicle is numbered?

dazvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS S3 "iD" Ute
i have a 99 VS Series 3 Limited Edition "iD" ute. it was the centrefold of the then VS ute brochure from the holden dealer. basically an auto v6 S pack with enhancements by HBD - ie FE2 suspension, 16" 5 spoke alloys with bridgestone S02's, hard lid and liner, different grille, and a little [iD] badge on each side quarter window. There was NO HBD build plate attached when it was delivered. i got in touch with hbd at the time and spoke with darren hassal (remember darren he did a couple years in v8 s'cars ?) who authenticated it by the vin and agreed there should be a build plate. it was apparently later sent to the dealer to be fitted upon the next service, but it somehow disappeared. there are some hbd decals. the hsv decal is only present on the underside of the hard lid, and the hsv stickers on b pillar and radiator support panel stipulate different load capacity due to fe2 suspension. ive owned it since new and just looked over the original order and sales contract (still got it inside the original brochure !) - "Limited Edition id series (HBD)".

2000vsute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s pac
01hbd

My VU Commodore Ute 04/2001 is a "Holden By Design" and carries a Holden By Design build plate - 01HBD. Ton as the option, basically a VX interior, with a few extras. So maybe this stirs the debate or strenghthens some points made. Fact is, 01 HBD plate!
Whats the hbd TONN option? Tonnea ?

UTE98

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VS S2 Ute
i have a 99 VS Series 3 Limited Edition "iD" ute. it was the centrefold of the then VS ute brochure from the holden dealer. basically an auto v6 S pack with enhancements by HBD - ie FE2 suspension, 16" 5 spoke alloys with bridgestone S02's, hard lid and liner, different grille, and a little [iD] badge on each side quarter window. There was NO HBD build plate attached when it was delivered. i got in touch with hbd at the time and spoke with darren hassal (remember darren he did a couple years in v8 s'cars ?) who authenticated it by the vin and agreed there should be a build plate. it was apparently later sent to the dealer to be fitted upon the next service, but it somehow disappeared. there are some hbd decals. the hsv decal is only present on the underside of the hard lid, and the hsv stickers on b pillar and radiator support panel stipulate different load capacity due to fe2 suspension. ive owned it since new and just looked over the original order and sales contract (still got it inside the original brochure !) - "Limited Edition id series (HBD)".
I have a 1998 HBD ID EDITION V6 Automatic ute. It has power windows, cruise control, FE 2 Suspension. It has the HBD Build plate, id plates on the quarter windows. It also has a HSV sticker on the radiator support panel. Factory LSD. I bought it off Gumtree in 2019 for $1,700. The guy that I bought it off didn`t know what he had.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
I have a 1998 HBD ID EDITION V6 Automatic ute. It has power windows, cruise control, FE 2 Suspension. It has the HBD Build plate, id plates on the quarter windows. It also has a HSV sticker on the radiator support panel. Factory LSD. I bought it off Gumtree in 2019 for $1,700. The guy that I bought it off didn`t know what he had.
HBDesign was for the body kit, all the factory S pack utes got those options as standard, stickers don't mean custard tarts, just advertising junk by dealers