Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what is holden by design mean

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
The VL Calais SV88 was a HSV, not HBD.

I know what they are, i wanted him to answer it.

Some people just get disappointed when they find out their car is actually a dealer pack, not a HSV or HBD car.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
HBD also installed sun-roofs, rear park assist and various other non-performance related items after the car had left the production line.

peninsulabands

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ SS 6.0 TUR(i)SMO
HBD also installed sun-roofs, rear park assist and various other non-performance related items after the car had left the production line.

wheels, chrome highlights (steering wheel, door handles, park brake and shifter) 6 stacker cd play (i think?) bodykits, leather steering wheel. probably others aswell.

Madness

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Commodore Utility 01HBD 04/2001
01hbd

My VU Commodore Ute 04/2001 is a "Holden By Design" and carries a Holden By Design build plate - 01HBD. Ton as the option, basically a VX interior, with a few extras. So maybe this stirs the debate or strenghthens some points made. Fact is, 01 HBD plate!

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
I also have a 2001 WH Caprice which has an HBD build plate, build number and four options listed. So yes, 2001 did have HBD build plated cars. Photos of it in my car thread. HBD is now known as HSVi.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I also have a 2001 WH Caprice which has an HBD build plate, build number and four options listed. So yes, 2001 did have HBD build plated cars. Photos of it in my car thread. HBD is now known as HSVi.

h5919A6C7

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
When did the HBD name stop? I used to deliver new monaros there for mods in 2005.

lovemycalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt calais hsv/hbd
Haha old thread i know, but I've recently purchased a 98 calais which has both the hsv and hbd plates under the bonnet above the drivers side headlight, as well as a small hsv badge on the boot under the calais badge. It has the 195i engine and hsv otr intake from factory, also has a few other bits and pieces which i know are the hbc options, but because it has the badge with as well as the 195i engine and the otr (which is also hsv badged) does this make mine a hsv enhanced calais?
Im wanting to do research on these cars, so anyone that can point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Haha old thread i know, but I've recently purchased a 98 calais which has both the hsv and hbd plates under the bonnet above the drivers side headlight, as well as a small hsv badge on the boot under the calais badge. It has the 195i engine and hsv otr intake from factory, also has a few other bits and pieces which i know are the hbc options, but because it has the badge with as well as the 195i engine and the otr (which is also hsv badged) does this make mine a hsv enhanced calais?
Im wanting to do research on these cars, so anyone that can point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Our local library has a book dealing with the history of HSV, from the early days of SV86 and Astra models. Can't recall the name but from what I recall, it was pretty comprehensive. Check Google to see what comes up under "HSV History", perhaps.