Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is inner nut on brake calliper

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I replaced my front brake pads today on my VS ute and when removing the two bolts that hold the calliper to the brake assembly I see there is an inner nut size 17mm (the bolts are 15mm) why is this nut there does it have some sort of adjustment for a reason and if it has a proper adjustment how do I make sure its calibrated?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No there is no adjustment. You grease the pins and do up the bolts and that's it. I'd have to pull my brakes apart to check but that hex is part of the slide pin IIRC. Been a year since I replaced my pads so I'm a bit vague.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
No there is no adjustment. You grease the pins and do up the bolts and that's it. I'd have to pull my brakes apart to check but that hex is part of the slide pin IIRC. Been a year since I replaced my pads so I'm a bit vague.

Hit the nail on the head.....Or should I say brake caliper slide pin :)

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro

Correct no adjustment .
Just just do up bolt untill tight on nut ( I use a bit of non hardener thread locker )
This does the calipers up tight onto slide pin ( calipers can not leave caliper cradle )
But calipers can slide e.g . = they are floating calipers!!!

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
I might add considering you're asking = either it's a new to you car / have maybe questionable service history I would suggest greasing the slide pins as well and checking their seal caps .

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Great idea about greasing the slide pin what type of grease should I use and is the seal cap the rubber boot on the slide pin next to the 17mm nut?

Schtoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VS Ute
Use something like bendix brake grease and yes
This. Cheap in the little packets from Supercheap.

If the calipers don't move freely when they're in position, you're going to have pads that don't wear evenly. One of my fronts was catching and nearly wore out a pad before I changed out everything for fresh and new. Clean everything, grease up all appropriate spots and put it all back together, checking that everything that is meant to move actually moves and everything that isn't supposed to move doesn't.

Also consider flushing out the brake fluid, as it's very likely it's old. Not a 'simple' job, but shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish and there are a gazillion guides on how to do it. If you lack confidence however, find someone who's done it and convince them to give you a hand.