Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[QLD] What is 'le90' oil? Should it be used for a holden transmission?

misscalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais V6
Hey, Im just wondering what is 'le90' oil? and should it at all be used in a holden transmission? (VZ Calais 5sp Auto)
If it shouldnt, why? what would it do?
This is a silly sort of question to ask its just i have recently had my transmission serviced and this is the oil the guy put in it and now something is wrong with my transmission so i need to know if the oil has something to do with it.

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
LE products aren't all that reputable. The LE90 is thicker than the usual 90 weight so I have no idea why anyone would put it in a newer model car. I'd be getting the transmission serviced again by someone that actually has an idea of what they are doing.

misscalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais V6
hey, I asked the mechanic what is the name of the oil and he said "high tech, it replaced penrite in au."
so whatever that is ?

ADR 40

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina..... VEII Equipe Sportswagon
If you mean LE95 tranny fluid, that's the grade used in Ford Falcon 4 speed BTR trannys.
Some people mention it has compatibility with Dexron III, but.... I wouldn't want to risk that.
The 5 speed tranny in your Calais uses a Dexron VI grade...(check your owners manual to verify)
Try the lube match tabs on the oil company sites, Penrite also have a 7 day technical support line if you still have a few worries

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
hey, I asked the mechanic what is the name of the oil and he said "high tech, it replaced penrite in au."
so whatever that is ?

maybe it's what he replaced penrite with... ATF DX-III MULTI-VEHICLE MINERAL - Penrite Oil <-- recommended oil for 2004/2005/2006 VZ 5 spd auto on the website.
sounds a bit suss to me as penrite is a big company still producing high quality oil. (not to mention australian owned plastered all over the website)

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
so whatever that is ?

They havent replaced Penrite in anything.

I would be taking it elsewhere quick smart. Draining that **** oil, assessing the damage and then contacting consumer affairs if there is anything wrong.