Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is needed to fit auto headlights to a VT Olympic edition?

Alpha_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Commodore Olympic Edition, saving up for a V8
Hi guys, I own a VTII Olympic Edition and I would like to fit auto headlights to it.
What would be required to do this mod and is it possible?
All I know is that I'd need the VT Calais/WH Statesman light switch and the twilight sentinel/light sensor from one of those two models.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
And the BCM, and the engine/dash harness, then you need the HVAC gear that attaches to the main harness. Then you swap all the roof accessories and loom to match the main loom

Alpha_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Commodore Olympic Edition, saving up for a V8
And the BCM, and the engine/dash harness, then you need the HVAC gear that attaches to the main harness. Then you swap all the roof accessories and loom to match the main loom
How would I go about programming the new BCM to work with my car?
Also, is it just a straight swap of taking Calais parts and putting them into my car?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You’ll need a lot of Calais parts.
A donor car would be ideal.

Fan resistor, climate control with all actuator manifold. Roof sunnies cubby, rear courtesy lights and door puddle lights. The almost impossible to remove dash harness and engine harness. Cluster, cabin temp sensor, ambient air temp sensor, BCM High, then double check on airbags for Calais. You may need to upgrade your seats to be fitted with airbags.

Then you can have auto lights controlled by the BCM.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
As @Fu Manchu has pointed out, Pretty much will HAVE to remove almost an entire calais interior electricals and swap it out with your interior electricals. AND then there will most definately be compatability issues with the modules (ECM, SRS, BCM, etc. etc.)

Possible, but how much time and money you got?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Auto lights are ok, but they turn off and on during the day if there is enough sun shadow. Sometimes it becomes annoying. If you really want auto lights buy a car with them but you'll soon realise that it's not necessarily a great thing. Some people turn them off in the BCM they get that annoyed. I have them and when they switch on during the day when I don't want them too it annoys me.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
These cars annoy me when they drive under overpasses or bridges briefly. I don't find them particularly clever. Look at me, my lights are on yet I didn't even touch the switch. So what. Did you have other plans for those 2 secs?!

I'm stirring, but yeah, way too much trouble to add for what it achieves.

Last edited:

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
I'm going to offer up an alternative solution. I'm not 100% sure it would work, but it's a faster and cheaper option, no changing out of car parts, and it'll cost you maybe $40 in electronic bits and a trip to Jaycar (or maybe $20 in parts if you can wait a few weeks for a delivery from AliExpress).
Tap into the headlight circuit with a Light Dependent Resistor (also known as a photoelectric switch or a sunset switch) and a relay (and an optional fuse). Mount the LDR somewhere on the outside of your car, pointing sideways probably so it's not going to switch every time an oncoming car's headlights hit you or you drive under a street light and run the circuit something like this:
LDR.jpg

1. Connect the LDR (Light-Dependent Resistor) in series with a relay coil.
  2. The LDR's resistance decreases as the ambient light level decreases (indicating darkness).
  3. Connect the normally open (NO) contact of the relay in parallel with the headlights.
  4. When it's dark, the resistance of the LDR decreases, allowing current to flow through the relay coil.
  5. The energized relay switches the NO contact to a closed state, completing the circuit to the headlights.
  6. As a result, when it gets dark, the headlights turn ON automatically.
Just thinking outside the box.