Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is that stoopid TV ad featuring a 1968 Camaro?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Cultural cringe: There is an ad on TV at the moment has an Aussie guy starting a restored American car that was never officially imported here, presumably converted to RHD recently as a bargain import, starts it up with a bit of trepidation then boom vrum vrum - then there's a montage of clips with serial numb nuts from around his neighbourhood as he gives it a rev, all nodding approvingly as if the exhaust note sound rings a bell and smile in reminiscence "Ah, '68 Camaro".

Each time it airs I miss the point as I'm caught up with WTF is all this US adman rubbish about?

Why is it not the 1969 350 GTS Monaro? Much more rare, same engine and drive train, built here, sold around the world, more collectible by an order of magnitude, and despite costing less at retail on release is now at least three times more valuable than the frankenstein yank car in the clip that was never part of our motorsport or street history.

For the life of me I can't figure out why the advertising execs wouldn't use a credible Australian example, is like they ripped off an American ad script verbatim. At least if it was a Monaro people would actually know the sound of it, and they would probably remember what the ad was for.

What was the ad about anyway?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Think it was Supercheap???

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
69 guards are flat on the top of the wheel well, 67 and 68 are rounded.