Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is the difference between and E85 and an 98 tune?

Black X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline Ute
Just wondering what the difference is between the two tunes?

Reason being is I just had my car tuned and I asked for an E85 tune but then when I looked at the dyno sheet it said the fuel was 98.

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Just wondering what the difference is between the two tunes?

Reason being is I just had my car tuned and I asked for an E85 tune but then when I looked at the dyno sheet it said the fuel was 98.

Id say the tuner wasn't aware you had e85 in the tank and just wrote 98. They will just tune the car to suit the present fuel. So I think Im not an expert.

There is 2 separate maps for each fuel type.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
I asked my tuner about an E85 tune. He said don't bother as the quality varies. I had mine tuned with United P100 but my tuner didnt add in any timing advance so I could run 98 if I wanted. The other thing he said was that the Holden ethanol sensor wasn't all that great with mixed fuels and really only worked properly with either full E85 or 98. He said is becomes confused with a mixture.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I can feel a PIR4TE coming on.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
there are two tables of timing and a 0-100% table of the ethanol ratio for lambda, basically if u tune it to suit 98 petrol on the petrol side and then the e85 ethanol side has its own spark table that is added or subtracted from the petrol table, so as the ethanol percentage is changing from 85 and anywhere to 0 (petrol) it will use the lambda AFR for that percentage and also a sliding scale of timing to suit... so if set up correct u will have no problems with any fuels...