Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is the easiest engine to bolt in to a 2001 vx commodore?

Levi12345

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 vx commodore
What is the easiest engine/ swap for a 2001 vx commodorw

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
Hi Levi12345 its easy enough to swap a V6 ecotech done 3 on my old vx but if doing at a mechanics any engine will swap easy as you just unplug/un bolt everything then drop the engine and transmission on the k-frame, then reverse.

but if you want to say change it from a v6 ecotech to a 5.7ltr consider this, you need a new flywheel and bell housing for the transmission at least for the 5.7ltr they use the same transmission but where it connects to engine so the bell housing needs changing the flywheel on engine and torque converter then you will need to put the new loom to the engine you put in and also ecu and if going v6 to v8 then you need different (bigger) brakes and bigger fuel pump unless you go from l67 that has a bigger pump 410lph than the 5.7ltr 400lph one and exhaust need to be changed, then to top it off to have it rwc it needs a engineer certificate as the original engine is no longer in the car

if your doing a home job and just want to change engines to another same one pull it out from the transmission (for the love of God!) it is way easier to connect the new engine to the transmission out of the car i just helped my mate pull a 5.7ltr out 2 weeks ago and he didn't listen to me went gung hoe and detached the engine from the transmission and had to ask me to help him pull it out (a lot of wiggle/jiggle and pull and twist not to mention hold on, up a little, hold it there, down a tad) it came out after 3 hrs too long as you have to be careful not to bend the transmission input shaft manual i dont know never changed an engine on so i dont know if you can leave it in car but for auto deffinently drop from transmission

one final tip its a little stuff around if you have a manual car and go from a v6 ecotec to the v6 l67 s/c engine there is a little bit of buggering around to do im not to sure i got stuck when i tried then just sent to a mechanic to do it but it is possible for the l67 to become a manual

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
Ah for the good old days when you could change your HQ from a 202 Trimatic to a 308 4 speed in a couple of hours with all the bits from the wreckers for a couple of hundred bucks and just had to advise your new engine number to transport.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Put a Coyote in and explode the interwebs.

Or, just buy one with a LS already in it.

There are a few LS Calais and Statesmans for sale that haven't seen the "becauseholdentax" yet.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Starfire 4....give it a crack.