Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is the point of bigger rims?

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
The problem with higher sidewalls is that they can flex so much under hard cornering that the tread actually warps off the road. So what ricey says is true but up to a point. The rubber bands that wrap around a set of 22s have so little flex in them that lateral grip is reduced significantly. And if you get a higher profile tyre on the 22s the speedo will be out and your car will be slower.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
On the other hand if you dial in some negative camber as I have you counteract the lateral grip reduction :)

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
All comes down to personal preference, if you value ride comfort avoid big rims/low profile.

If you like a car that handles and dont mind the resulting reduction in comfort go the big rims/low profiles.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Now you're talking! How do find that affects tread wear? That's definitely the way to go.

Theres always a downside unfortunately haha. Inside edge wears out much faster than the rest of the tyre :(

disorganise

Reaction score
Members Ride
F2 GTS 2015
I believe there's something about the gyroscopic effect too with larger rims- and that makes the wheels resist turning. No idea if there's much difference between the 18/19/20" that the VE was designed for, but the 22's available are definately affect handling. Top Gear Australia had the HSV/Walkinshaw supercharged clubsport on the track and the with the 20" rims it was 3 seconds faster than with the 22s - and that also included stock brakes in the 20's versus larger ones in the 22's. The times are posted here (position 13 and 26): Top Gear Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Thought it might. Guess that's the price you pay for grip! Still worth it.

Yeah its amazing what a difference some camber makes. I keep going to put her on the aligner and put it back to factory specs then I go for a drive through some twistys and decide against it haha.

BRAWT_4TH

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ssz silver ute
my oppinion with stockies you can rip a skid go on gravel hit a curb and you dont care 60 bucks for brand new tyres on stockies compared to like 250 + youd be to scared to even reverse it out of the driveway 20s dont benefit you at all they just they are simply just 'sic mate'

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
my oppinion with stockies you can rip a skid go on gravel hit a curb and you dont care 60 bucks for brand new tyres on stockies compared to like 250 + youd be to scared to even reverse it out of the driveway 20s dont benefit you at all they just they are simply just 'sic mate'

If youre happy with stockies mate then theres no need to get big rims :) Personally I dont do skids and never go on gravel, yes Im super paranoid of kerbs but havent contacted any yet :D