Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is the point of bigger rims?

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
To what was said above I would also include extra weight to the vehicle as well, not by much but it would be more than what you started with. At this point in time I am deciding on whether if I should go to 20" rims just purely because that the stock 18's seem too small on the car (maybe its just me). Also debating whether I should just just lower it as is but I am yet to see a sv6 lowered with the standard wheels. Looking at pedders, either sports ryders or ssl's.

Just about to find out about lowering the SV6 on stock 18's so we'll see ey....I'm gonna keep the same rake though.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Yeah its amazing what a difference some camber makes. I keep going to put her on the aligner and put it back to factory specs then I go for a drive through some twistys and decide against it haha.

You're right. That's when it all makes sense.

The fun in skids seems to have passed me by aswell. I'd much rather have my car set up so I can push it hard through the fun stuff and not die.

How much camber did you dial in, ricey? If be guessing it's a bit!

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
You're right. That's when it all makes sense.

The fun in skids seems to have passed me by aswell. I'd much rather have my car set up so I can push it hard through the fun stuff and not die.

How much camber did you dial in, ricey? If be guessing upwards of 1.5 degrees!

Around 2.5 degrees from memory, cant go a lot more without modifying the strut.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I don't see the point in these huge rims with jack-all rubber between them and the road.
My stepson hit a pot hole with these 20" rims or there-abouts, smashed two rims and sent him into the ditch. Rougher ride as well, with these bloody things. Nope I'll stick to my 225/50/16's.

I'm with you ^^ on that score. 225/50/16 have a nice road feel with plenty of rubber on the road and dont cost the earth to replace. No tram lining either.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
you cant beat a 15" wheel and tyre combo its been proven so many times on handling its not funny it may not feal as stable but will go round sharper corners faster do to the sidewall flex even straight line traction is way better i never go bigger than 15's.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I'm with you ^^ on that score. 225/50/16 have a nice road feel with plenty of rubber on the road and dont cost the earth to replace. No tram lining either.

Tram lining has nothing to do with low profile tyres

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
you cant beat a 15" wheel and tyre combo its been proven so many times on handling its not funny it may not feal as stable but will go round sharper corners faster do to the sidewall flex even straight line traction is way better i never go bigger than 15's.

Maybe you should inform the V8 supercar teams of this so they can stop running low profile tyres, go back to 15s and then corner faster.

Last edited:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Tram lining has nothing to do with low profile tyres

Wide tyres - it is tho. 225 on a Commodore is a good fit on the 16x7 rims.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Wide tyres - it is tho. 225 on a Commodore is a good fit on the 16x7 rims.

Its caused by alignment issues or flogged out suspension components. I run 245s and have never experienced tramlining.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Around 2.5 degrees from memory, cant go a lot more without modifying the strut.

Oooo that would make it stick! Remind me never to get in your way through twisty stuff... If I'm ever in WA!

Never had a single instance of tramlining with my 245s.