Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is the point of bigger rims?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I think a lot of people need to harden up a little (no pun intended).

If you cant handle feeling the bumps in the road maybe you should take the bus !!

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
If you think about it, there is another laugh to be had... ;)

Read thread title, then re-read my first post.

Dad joke alert!

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Oh dear... That joke is worse than mine.

On a side note, police highway and unmarked cars are SS models, not SSV, so the 18s come standard - as opposed to it being a choice for the vehicle's performance. Highway cars aren't as modified as a lot of people think. However, I do believe the AFM badges on the newer ones aren't accurate!

If you're buying an SSV I'd definitely be going with the 19s considering you'd have to pay extra to downgrade your car. The 19s are standard, not an option.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I think a lot of people need to harden up a little (no pun intended).

If you cant handle feeling the bumps in the road maybe you should take the bus !!

Alright chopper! But completely agree! Sadly, the car is just a convenience for most people. Which is why you see so many priuses on the road.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
The question of benefits, pros/cons of large rims and tyres was posed to the previous owner of my VZ wagon, a CFA station in country Victoria. Apparently they spent a cool fortune at trade-over putting 17" rims and CORSA 235/ tyres on. These fat, low profile monsters on PDW rims certainly injected some 'oomph', look-wise, but as other posts have observed, a harsher ride results, but with fantastic tactile feel for the road. So bad was it as we bounced over the moguls that after 2 rides my sister came down with appendicitis.

Personally I am not troubled by the sharp feedback from these tyres, or the bumps, and being involved in bushwalking and travelling on remote roads, well, this car isn't a good choice for that, so I go in my friend's company-provided OMEGA — not half as sexy to look at (the car I mean!!), but well able to soak up the horrid corros of recent trips.

I'm not a rev-head or a hoon (not this side of 50...). My car (a replacement for a 16-year old Toyota Lexcen wagonwheels) was bought for me by my Mum, who has alzheimers. But none of you guys should mention that to her. :unsure:

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
LOL nice one :D