Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What Is This Wire For ?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
it wont be for anything that is on the front bumper as that is all contained in the front harness.
the plug does not look like one that is used on a horn, in my experience they never use plugs that have water resisting elements on horns but check the plug on your horn and if it looks the same then that is probably like others said a dual horn.

if you cant see a spot for it to plug in around the area the plug is hanging i would not be too concerned, you can also use a multimeter and see if it is live.
maybe it is for something for the us exported ones.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I reckon too
You could test that fairly easily with a multi-meter & an assistant pushing the horn button.
Given the penny-pinching that's usually in the design, it seems strange having an extra run of cables & an extra plug, instead of a single horn module that itself emits dual tones. But I guess you never know what may or may not have fitted where, and which parts were cheapest etc.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Its not a plug for the Horn.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I haven’t found anything within the workshop manual that may give us a clue as to what it is (it’s a painful document to navigate on iPad so I could have missed something). Of the few things that sit near that location, like impact sensor, hood ajar switch, etc, anything important and not plugged in should generate a DTC but may not result in MIL indication... So have you checked for DTC’s?

I’d also suggest you look very carefully at the condition of the exterior of inner part of the plug, past the seal... the bit that’s inserted and protected from the environment by that seal... If it’s clean as, obviously it was plugged into something so ask Holden ASAP... If it’s similarly grubby like the rest of the plug exterior, then it wasn’t connected from factory and this not used. May be you have snagged some loom with optional features related to HID or AFL lighting features we normally didn’t get, or maybe someone forgot to plug something in; QC at its best :p I’d ask Holden if no one comes back with a definitive statement, energy polarisers not withstanding :p

Last edited:

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
I've looked at a couple of VF's at my work and neither have this plug. Did you buy the car new or 2nd hand

Kakodaemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
I had my bumper off at the start of the year and can honestly say I never saw that cable cause if i did i would have wondered what the hell i disconnected.
I was distracted though with trying to get the bumper plug detached from the car!
It just would not come off at all so i just put the bumper back on.
I hope you had more luck with that part than me.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Plug for energy polariser ?
Na , it's connected to the flux capacitor :p
I had my bumper off at the start of the year and can honestly say I never saw that cable cause if i did i would have wondered what the hell i disconnected.
I was distracted though with trying to get the bumper plug detached from the car!
It just would not come off at all so i just put the bumper back on.
I hope you had more luck with that part than me.
I didn't have to disconnect the harness , i had enough room to remove the trim without doing that .
I've looked at a couple of VF's at my work and neither have this plug. Did you buy the car new or 2nd hand
The car was new when i baught it .
it wont be for anything that is on the front bumper as that is all contained in the front harness.
the plug does not look like one that is used on a horn, in my experience they never use plugs that have water resisting elements on horns but check the plug on your horn and if it looks the same then that is probably like others said a dual horn.
if you cant see a spot for it to plug in around the area the plug is hanging i would not be too concerned, you can also use a multimeter and see if it is live.
maybe it is for something for the us exported ones.
No , couldn't see anything not connected in that area .
You could test that fairly easily with a multi-meter & an assistant pushing the horn button.
Given the penny-pinching that's usually in the design, it seems strange having an extra run of cables & an extra plug, instead of a single horn module that itself emits dual tones. But I guess you never know what may or may not have fitted where, and which parts were cheapest etc.
I'm staring to think that it has to do with the supercharger , the other thing they replace was the oxygen sensors but i can't see any pics of one that has an extra plug .
When i get a chance i will send them a pic and see if they know

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Given the penny-pinching that's usually in the design, it seems strange having an extra run of cables...
Supposably on some looms it cheaper for them to use the one type for every variant and heat shrink off the ends they don't need. At least that was the explination given to us when we had our dealer do warranty work on some wires that came loose in our equinox.

Maybe this is also the case for the op?