Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is wrong with the paint on my bonnet?

ESM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina MY08
Hello,

The paint on my car bonnet developed a 'speckled' look in one area, and then blotches started to appear and now quite a few roundish blotches have appeared, and other speckled areas are appearing. What is wrong with the paint on my bonnet? It looks like a top layer of metallic paint is being eroded somehow, leaving a light pink/red layer of paint (undercoat?) behind.

Thanks for any advice,

Eden.

Attachments

• Car Paint 020.jpg
    Car Paint 020.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 632

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Looks like the clear coat is coming off.

Save yourself some money, take the bonnet off, strip it back to bear metal with paint stripper and give it to a GOOD painter to re-paint. Colour code is under the bonnet on near side toward the rear.

stubec16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Equipe Sportswagon LPG
Yep, clear coming off. This will get worse really quickly, you can see that whole area is starting to go. Needs a repaint. Looks like a series 1 so I guess you are not still under warranty.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Never seen that before, something has been spilled on the bonnet such as brake fluid.

Slick6

Reaction score
Website
www.perthfilms.com
Members Ride
Phantom SSV
I had something similar on the spoiler of my last car, I was told the clear coat delaminated after moisture got in through a stone chip or nick in the paint.

Apparently normal rain etc wont get in, just if you blast it with a high pressure spray and are too close.

Eventually as the clear coat lifted water got caught under it like a blister.

Either way I think your up for a re spray.

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
Lucky it is just the bonnet

Benji885

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 manual
Ouch,

Yeah mate as stated above its the clearcoat

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I am guessing that you are the second owner of this car??

I would say the first owner got some stone chips on the bonnet. nothing major just your normal run of the mill stuff. Then the car was traded, the bonnet was resprayed to improve it's re-sale value (probably the front bumper too and maybe the front fenders). possibly between the base coat and the clear coat the incorrect flash time was followed so the clear is possibly just siting on top of the base coat in places instead of being stuck to each other. the gap is so small you will never see it and it will not be a problem, until you get a stone chip in the right (wrong) spot and then the clear will begin to flake off.

Just my thoughts of what it could be. and Yes, it will need a re-spray. good luck

ESM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina MY08
Yes I am the second owner, and yes I have the same problem on the front bumper as well. Oh well, time to spend some money...

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

Rogues

Reaction score
Members Ride
Odyssey VE Calais
Yep........ just noticed a 20c piece sized blot appear on my rear spoiler as well in the last week or so.. :( ..........def the clearcoat