Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is your Holden worth now!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
As a general comment on collectables being valuable, a lot depends on model desirability and vehicle drivability... #1.

The desirability part tends to be from kids that have grow, become wealthy, and in middle age+ want to relive their childhood car ownership dreams. That puts the cars that fetch big $$ around the 40+/- year mark.

The drivability part is dependant on part supply going forward, simply because parts are needed to keep old machines on the road since not many want to spend big $$ on something that is undrivable, rusted and falling apart (if they can’t be repaired).

Historically, any gap in OEM supply has been able to be filled somewhat by 3rd parties, however, airbag availability as spare parts from 3rd parties (I suspect) has a number of regulatory hurdles which would mean no 3rd party supplier steps in to fill that void. This airbag issue, in and of itself, may see many more modern vehicles crushed/recycled as compared to what happened to the non airbag vehicles at a similar age. Therefore they may actually disappear sooner than the 70’s and 80’s clunkers did. For the modern garage queens, such could be a blessing in disguise as values peak much quicker. But like a double edged sword, keeping it too long could run into parts issues and dropping values.

Being a dead brand doesn’t help the prices situation for modern Holden cars going forward, so that also adds to the mix. Heck, if they had forums in the 20’s, the discussions around Packards and their future values would likely have been similar, but who wants a Packard today? Not many...

Anyway time will tell :p

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
^ The brand is dead... GM said so ;)

As for what something is worth, the last word sits with the buyer :p

Naa , the last word sits with the seller when he says " OK " , c'mon guys , don't under estimate the value of our great cars , when you go to sell add an extra 10k and don't budge , or atleast until I've sold mine :cool: . I will definitely not recommend this website to any potential buyers I might have for any recommendations :rolleyes:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Car be worthless if you cant get fossil fuel in years to come, they be just worth the scrap metal price which will be not much as they have millions of scrap cars.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

Early cars in the vintage of model T and A are still collectable but their value is low because those people who really desired them are now long dead.

The cars of the ‘70’s will eventually suffer the same fate.

Cars that continue to command huge prices as collectables are those that have a world presence and are limited by their scarcity and prestige.

I can’t see modern Commodores falling into that category.

They’ll have their time in the sun locally when those who grew up with them are still around then they’ll lose their popularity to the next generation and as a dead brand that popularity is now almost dead as well.

Add to the mix that many are now garaged by speculators the supply will possibly outweigh the demand which will also impact on their future price.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well for what my car is worth now, today's prices for one of the 25 carsales available limited edition motorsports are:

Cheapest driven motorsport $49,900 @ 63,598 km
Cheapest very low km motorsport $69,000 @ 900 km
Cheapest delivery km motorsport $86,990 @ 25 km (with rear spoiler)
And a delusional owner's motorsport $120,000 @ 4,700 km

I hate buying from enthusiest as too often they are so emotionally attached to their pride and joy it makes them delusional.

So, i guess if i was to sell, and wanted it to sell, i'd have to be asking a bit more than $50,000 since it's got rather low km's and still smells, looks and drives like new. Depending on offers, if none, i'd have to go lower. But it seems like too much of a headache so i'll keep it and cop the depreciation ;)

Oh and redbook sees marginal difference in trade and private price for motorsports verses SSV Redline o_O Would have thought the difference would have been a few thou to accomodate the 10k difference when new :eek:

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Well for what my car is worth now, today's prices for one of the 25 carsales available limited edition motorsports are:

Cheapest driven motorsport $49,900 @ 63,598 km
Cheapest very low km motorsport $69,000 @ 900 km
Cheapest delivery km motorsport $86,990 @ 25 km (with rear spoiler)
And a delusional owner's motorsport $120,000 @ 4,700 km

I hate buying from enthusiest as too often they are so emotionally attached to their pride and joy it makes them delusional.

So, i guess if i was to sell, and wanted it to sell, i'd have to be asking a bit more than $50,000 since it's got rather low km's and still smells, looks and drives like new. Depending on offers, if none, i'd have to go lower. But it seems like too much of a headache so i'll keep it and cop the depreciation ;)

Oh and redbook sees marginal difference in trade and private price for motorsports verses SSV Redline o_O Would have thought the difference would have been a few thou to accomodate the 10k difference when new :eek:
I paid the same for my Magnum as what dealers were charging for the last of the Redline utes in May 2017.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I paid the same for my Magnum as what dealers were charging for the last of the Redline utes in May 2017.
Dealers were playing lots of games early 2017 onwards with some asking silly prices for the last of the redline sedans, wagons and utes. They were also saying all the limited editions were sold out only later to have them dribbled out by the same dealerships that said they were sold out. To me the synonym to Dealer is Liar :p

In any case, if you were lucky to sign contacts before the LE’s were release and the dealer didn't try to charge $5000+ deliver fee (car wash) and the dealer ultimately honoured the price, then you got a good deal. If you came across a decent sales person that told it straight and gave you a fair price, buy a lotto ticket cause you’ve met the proverbial unicorn ;)

Anyway, somewhat abstract comparisons aren’t as meaningful as one may th8nk. Some utes in 2017 actually sold for silly money while some LE’s actually sold for a great price from the buyers perspective. But regardless, I’m happy you were pleased with your ‘low’ purchase price as that takes the sting out of any paper depreciation you could have suffered if you sell :cool:

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Auto Ute, 2013 VF SV6 Auto Sedan.
IMG_0285.JPG
In 1978 I bought a brand new Holden 5 litre Monaro GTS for $10,500....( remember the tombstone seats and had disc brakes all round, 4 on the floor and a fuel guzzler ) 5 years later I traded it on a VN SPack….and got $10,000 trade in.....what a fool was I buying a VN.....The Monaro was resold by the dealer to a hoon in Goulburn who wrecked it....the only saving grace I still have is that number plate on my VF. See above photo.
holden01 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Insurance valuations/agreed value can be pretty far away from what cars are actually worth,could go either way.
They agreed to insure my vf 2013 ssv wagon with 52km for $45000 when i bought it a year ago,ive just dropped that to 38g agreed for about $500 less per year,doesnt mean my wagon is worth that,car cost me $28500.
Ive spent probably 6g on it,id say its worth close to what i paid a year ago,maybe a wee bit more considering mods(to the right buyer)
My agreed value is close to what it owes me so if it gets written off ill be ok financially.
Tbh a car is only worth what somebody will pay for it,what i/you/insurance company/redbook think its worth means absolutely nothing,unless of course its written off.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Insurance valuations/agreed value can be pretty far away from what cars are actually worth,could go either way.
They agreed to insure my vf 2013 ssv wagon with 52km for $45000 when i bought it a year ago,ive just dropped that to 38g agreed for about $500 less per year,doesnt mean my wagon is worth that,car cost me $28500.
Ive spent probably 6g on it,id say its worth close to what i paid a year ago,maybe a wee bit more considering mods(to the right buyer)
My agreed value is close to what it owes me so if it gets written off ill be ok financially.
Tbh a car is only worth what somebody will pay for it,what i/you/insurance company/redbook think its worth means absolutely nothing,unless of course its written off.

Agree with this. Insured value is not a good correlation to what the car is worth.

My 2016 SS Black is insured for 52k but I would be lucky to get something close to 40K. Probably closer to 35K