Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is your view on smoking? (and cigarette warning labels)

GetToDaChopa

Blues Brother # 2
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Blues Mobile
The use of tobacco is something that i have a tiny fascination in and have spent a great deal studying it.

So i've been doing hours upon hours of research into tobacco and negatives and benefits of smoking. Now i just want to get a few other peoples opinions and in general i feel like arguing my point or the conclusion that i have come to. So what is your view on tobacco.

I also want to raise another point and that is these health warnings on cigarettes. I do not believe that the use of graphic imagery has any effect on people to stop smoking. Another point is that this is an invasion from the government on peoples choices in life and what they want to do, it also a way to shock the public into thinking that cigarettes are worse than they really are and give people a false perception many of the claims on these packets are outrageous some of which i believe might be mistaking correlation and causation. I feel that the government is imposing to much of their own views on the public by doing so. Another thing i have read is that they want to make blank/clear packaging for cigarettes with only these health warnings visible without brands of the cigarette manufacturer. These nanny tactics from the government are getting ridiculous. Why don't they also tell people what to eat and and drink??? How about warning labels on Alcohol? Show a picture of a person who just got bashed in a pub on it. or a picture of a person who just got into a car crash. how about graphic imagery on packets of chips? a photo of a fat guy on the chips, just an obese, overweight out of shape person on the packet of chips. My point of view is that many people abuse cigarettes and as a result have many health problems. How many cigarettes do people smoke per day? 20? 30? 50? you wouldn't eat 50 packets of chips in one day. So as a result these warning labels are not accurate, not fare, and is an intervention from the government that has the same characteristics as the one in China. As well as the clear cigarette packets they are trying to introduce. Don't get me started on tobacco tax.

Yes tobacco abuse leads to many health risks which consist of more than just lung cancer... im sure you know what they are. As well as tobacco having long and short term benefits such as better concentration, reduced anxiety long term include lower risk of Parkinson's disease. I could go into more detail but i feel like i've written enough.

So tell me your views. And if a petition can be started about these warning labels and submit it to the government that would something that i would pursue.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Well this thread isn't going to last long...

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
Im a non smoker. If smokers enjoy smoking then so be it. Its not in my interest nor should be the governments to invade smokers freedom when smokers are well aware of the consequences.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Well this thread isn't going to last long...

Whys that?, Why not contribute something useful instead of being a drain on this forum for once?

Personally I don't mind either way, I just don't like it when people smoke when i'm eating at a restaurant.

In regards to the images on the packets, they don't make a difference. when i used to work as a cashier i had a few good examples.

One guy "can I have the pack with the girl in the hospital bed, so i can watch her suffer, hahaha"

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
supercharged vt II acclaim
i smoke- and i think if they are that worry'd about peoples health they should stop selling the farking things.... would suit me fine :D

but its all about money i guess

and the pics on drinks and chips is a good idea, wonder how long it will be

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
I agree 100% chop.

All this stuff is doing, is giving uninformed bleeding hearts the illusion that the govt is doing something.

The useful idiots as Minux would put it.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Whys that?, Why not contribute something useful instead of being a drain on this forum for once?

Ahhh FFS. The last thread on smoking had PLENTY of contributions from me.

Bottom line is this. Smoking is quite simply the most STUPID thing anyone can do. It's a CHOICE regardless of what anyone says. I know people who were more than pack a day smokers who stopped over night, simply because they chose to.

Anyone that chooses smokes in this day and age when so much is understood about it (and NOT ONE THING is positive about smoking) is making the wrong decision.

Sure, the smokers will all come out and say "it's relaxing" and "it harms nobody but me" and other rubbish like that. But it's all just excuses for being in denial and not having the willpower to quit.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
I smoke a packet a day, I dont even look at the images on the packet.

Oh if anyone has a packet of smokes and they see the teeth one, hold it up to your mouth and talk to someone, funny stuff.