Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what material for a sub box?

vpwgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec Wagon
gday. im about to make another sub box and cant decide what material to use. should i stick to MDF or can i use ply? does the choice of material really have much of an effect on the perfomance of my sub? any help would be hugely appreciated.

Nick

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
I would be inclined to use mdf, it seems to be the norm, probably because it is denser and more solid which would make the box sturdier. I can't say that I have ever seen plywood used. I can vouch for the mdf though having used it extensively in our boot install.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
The less flex and more air tight the better.

MDF, 12mm should be good. More if you want.

C

clinker1212

I have read in quite a few different articles that plywood is ok but baffle board is the best. You need to steer clear of particle or chip board though.

As i cant get any baffle board nearby I am going to use 35 ml ply in my installation. So long as the ply is straight, and the joins are air tight and proper you shouldnt get any flexing. I probably wouldn't use it on anything above a 12inch driver though just in case.

vpwgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec Wagon
well i got sum 16mm MDF today. so yer its under way now. thanks for the replies.
Nick