Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What model should I buy? Looking for a V8 Ute.

WRX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi guys.

First post here. I currently have an 05 WRX and I'm thinking of selling it to buy a ute. I only do about 5K km per year as I train to work, so I thought I'd rather have a car that car carry things.

I'm tossing up between spending 5-10K on an older V8 ute (VN-VS) or spending around 10-12K (VU?).

I prefer the noise of the older aussie V8, but I'm worried the ute might be a bit rickety at that age.

The VU SS's seem to have 150-200k's on them in that price range.

Can anyone provide me with some insight into possible problems that I might run into from buying either model? (LS3 oil leaks, or issues the older V8 has?) And how eaither compares roughly performance-wise to my current car?

Any replies welcomed! Thanks.

WRX

Reaction score
Members Ride
No luck huh.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I'd go the VU, better engine, better gearbox etc. The old vn's etc are ok, but at the end of the day they are old. Go test a drive a few perhaps?

*uwishn*

Holden special vehicles
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl walkinshaw(replica)nissan navara d40 st-x turbo
cant go past a wb one toner 308,spewing i recently sold mine.

illusionalvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
toyota lexcen - vr.
i agree. VU. if the ute has maintained, sounds good, hasnt had an major problems, it should be ok.

Ace_VP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S Pac
I would agree with Minux and the others but having said that a low km well maintained VS is, IMO, a better buy than a high Km's VU.

I personally like the look of the VU better, both interior and exterior, but thats me.

Check out carsales, carpoint and ebay, start compliling a list of possibles and then go test driving. Spend plenty of time researching, do your homework. Look at a whole heap of different ones on the net to see what you get for your money. You always get some clown who thinks that the $8000 he spent on mods makes the resale value go up by that much. Do your homework so you dont get ripped off.

WRX

Reaction score
Members Ride
^Thanks. 've been doing that.

Looked at a VU series2, 215k on the clock. The car blew white and slightly blue smoke when revved, so I didn't even bother test driving.

Haven't found any older ones yet - will look again on Sat. I've noticed that there aren't many VU V8's at dealers in QLD, just SS's. Am I missing something, or is it just that the standard V8's don't come up very often. I was thinking one of them might serve better as they might be chaeaper, and maybe less flogged, as the SS label might appeal to those who drive them hard.

Thoughts?

Thanks guys.

illusionalvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
toyota lexcen - vr.
avoid dealers. you wont get **** for the mark up they put on an older car.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Make sure you test drive all potential models. Good luck finding a VG V8 ute tho, i've only seen 2 for sale in the last couple of years.

Personally i'd be going with the VU, i dont like the look of the VN-S utes (even tho i do prefer the sound of the 5L to the LS1)

WRX

Reaction score
Members Ride
I agree. I like the old V8 noise. I don't like the older body shape though.

How easy is it to get good power out of the VU engine?

If I get an exhaust should I get twin 2.5" pipes, or single 3"?