Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What mods need to be done put a 6l90e into a Vf

br77

Reaction score
Members Ride
na
Hello guys,
I am wondering what needs to be done to fit a 6l90e into a Vf. Thinking of getting a Lsa conversion done in the future.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I didn't know what a 6L90E was so googled it.

This page is interesting and indicates the 6L90E was a 1 3/8" longer and stronger version of the 6L80E. Both these boxes are modular and use bolt on bell housings. Presumably this means bell housings could be swapped if needed and you possibly the box's extra length may require a shorted tail shaft.

Other than the mechanical issues, i think there may be electrical/logic issues as i understand items have the VIN programed within their electronic moduls and must match the other electronic modules in teh vehicle.

But it's all speculation on my part as i've never worked on these fandangled new electronic contraptions...

br77

Reaction score
Members Ride
na
I didn't know what a 6L90E was so googled it.

This page is interesting and indicates the 6L90E was a 1 3/8" longer and stronger version of the 6L80E. Both these boxes are modular and use bolt on bell housings. Presumably this means bell housings could be swapped if needed and you possibly the box's extra length may require a shorted tail shaft.

Other than the mechanical issues, i think there may be electrical/logic issues as i understand items have the VIN programed within their electronic moduls and must match the other electronic modules in teh vehicle.

But it's all speculation on my part as i've never worked on these fandangled new electronic contraptions...
Thanks mate. Yea, I think you are right, tail shaft may need to be shortened.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
If you do an LSA/6L90E conversion, think about getting an HSV tail shaft/diff combo.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Good luck fitting the 9.9" diff.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Good luck fitting the 9.9" diff.
Why?

I'd have thought HSV wouldn't have done major structural work to fit things as their costs would blow out too much. Possibly Holden could have done structural things on their assembly line but i always understood the doner vehicle was a standard Holden build shipped to HSV for their modding.

So i'd speculate/hypothesis/guess it would be a matter of removing the spare wheel carrier and installing some custome HSV brackets, maybe welded in place. So in theory reletively simple mechanical mods if you can source the bits somewhere.

But i could be 100% off base so please explain why you'd say good luck fitting a 9.9" diff as i'm curious to learn ;)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I always understood the doner vehicle was a standard Holden build shipped to HSV for their modding.
I think it was always an HSV-targeted vehicle ...for example, I think the LSA+'box were fitted by Holden?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think it was always an HSV-targeted vehicle ...for example, I think the LSA+'box were fitted by Holden?
A HSV-targeted vehicle could simply be an identifier to let assembly workers feel extra pride when screwing their bit into the vehicle in the hope they are better built that the run of the mill unots. Possible part marketing fluff to make HSV owners feel that little bit more special.

But i don't know any details though i've seen pictures of Holden vehicles fitted with dicky transport wheels when shipped to HSV where these transport wheels are then sent back to Holden for reuse... I've also read somewhere that HSV were pulling out Holden installed V8 engines and installing their charged mills which left HSV with a bunch of engines for sale (seems Holden wasn't taking them back). Then on these forums there there were statements that HSV pulled fenders off doner Holdens and installed their own bespoke fenders on i think the GTS-R W1? leaving them with a bunch of VF Series 2 fenders for sale. So HSV-targeted, maybe not so much.

Now my view is that vehicle manufacturers are notoriously cheap and don't like making changes, especially structural to floors just to install a diff, otherwise there is big complience costs involving crash testing. As such i'd guess the big diff is a bolt on proposition, maybe with some bespoke HSV brackets...

It's any ones guess until someone in the know actually drops some facts which can be backed up. Pictures would be great, i like pictures :D

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
The HSVs don’t have the composite spare wheel well. Instead they have a flat composite panel fitted in its place. (I think that it is the same panel fitted to LPG vehicles???). The diff assembly in the HSV is quite big and has an oil cooler/radiator fitted near by so they delete the spare wheel space to fit it.

br77

Reaction score
Members Ride
na
Two possible easy options here, get the rear end from a wrecker, or get a 4l80 to adapt an aftermarket diff