Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What Next?

Onecontrolfreak

Reaction score
Had my VR V8 Statesman for a year now and no problems until the last 3-4 weeks.

The latest problem i have now is the car will not start. It is on LPG and Petrol. Today driving in on LPG and it simply cut out not notice nothing. Tried cranking, whilst on LPG and no fire. Then flicked to petrol and eventually started as it was dual fuelling.

Drove it home no problem and parked it up. Tonight went to start it up on petrol and then gas, no go at all.....

Where do i start? Checked all LPG connections and switches everything appears right.

No other work has been performed on car, except spark plug change about 2-3 weeks earlier.

Any areas where to start??????

Thanks

Jamie

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Seeing as its playing up on gas and petrol it points towards ignition. Check that you have spark when cranking.....also the coil (if thats what V8s have) for failure. The spark plug change 2 weeks ago may indicate that you were having ignition problems which have now returned with a vengeance. Good Luck.

Onecontrolfreak

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Guessing it is not the starter as it cranks good and strong. Coil might be a good place to start.

Will keep you updated.

Cheers

94 Stato V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Series 11 wagon, 2014 VF SV6 Storm Ute
Check or try energizing all your solenoids manually to make sure they work. If they dont work they'll shut ya fuel down. Also most systems have some sort of shut off in case of an accident. If its not receiving a pulse from the alternator or coil it'll turn the solenoids off. Could be the problem. I'd check for spark first then check for fuel supply. Good luck, hope its easy to find.

Tim

Onecontrolfreak

Reaction score
Hi all,

Started the car up today, ran on LPG and Petrol, drove it for about an hour no issues.

One thing I did pick up was that is was low on water, due to the hot weather the other day....Got to 1/2 then snuck up to 3/4 and back again.

Topped the water completely up and it appears to have rectifed!!

Must be related......

Cheers

Jamie

statey1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman
Yeh same thing happened to me.

you are probably aware, the LPG converter needs water running through it or the LPG will freeze up the converter, which stops the gas getting to the engine. Dunno why it causes a problem when u flick it over to petty tho....couldn't work that one out. I had a b*t#h of a time trying to start it on petty after it died!

94 Stato V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Series 11 wagon, 2014 VF SV6 Storm Ute
Yep me too, hasn't done it on the Stato yet but on my VH,VK, HJ and EA it has. It's one of those things you live with running a dual fuel car. It's good running on gas and knowing you can drive it safely knowing you wont seize the motor thru coolant loss, the gas will shut you down before you can do damage. Again... it's got me knackered why its hard to start on petrol after the gas shuts down too. Maybe a small amount of gas is still leaking thru and with the petrol it is actually flooding, but I could be wrong. All I know is it takes a while to start.

statey1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman
Yeh I'm guessing that some gas floods the cylinders in liquid form maybe? All I know is that when I had to start it on petty I had to hold the accelerator flat to the floor to get it going again. But ur right, it saves ya cookin the donk....

Onecontrolfreak

Reaction score
Yes, have not had a problem since, my guess is that LPG flooding sounds about right......

No different when i flick it over from gas to petrol or vice versa, if I stuff it up it takes a good few minutes to clear out.