Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What oil is everyone using

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Castrol Edge will have a Dexos approved oil soon. When I rang their technical phone number, the bloke was happy to have a chat but definitely towed the company line and said they can't recommend using any of their products until their new Dexos oil.
We also chatted and laughed about how much bloody money GM was making getting certification from all the oil companies. It must be very costly having to have products certified to API and/or ACEA and/or ILSAC and now all the manufacturers own certifications.

I've gone with the Edge 5w30 ACEA A3/B4 as that european standard is more leaning towards motor protection than fuel economy and emission system longevity, than ILSAC or Dexos tend to be.

I only swapped out the Mobil 1 0w40 for the 5w30 to see if it was causing this ticking noise I get when warm. It wasn't the cause, and I'm pretty sure it relates to the factory tune as it only ticks when its filled with 98. No idea why its doing it (any idea @monstar ?)
Not really without a video and or more complete description of what occurs when, happy to help if I can. PM me or continue at end of a ticking noise thread. Cheers

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Autobarn catalogue in front of me Nulon 3w30 dexos approved full syn $29.99

I've never used it but Cheap

SanchezCBR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS Manual Sportswagon
I use Castrol Edge 5w30 at the moment in my SS. However once I go through the massive stock pile of Castrol I have I will most likely move to Nulon 5w30 Long life.

I've tried pretty much used all the oil brands in all of my cars over the years and so far Nulon has been the most impressive for me. I have used Penrite HPR5 a little but was never a big fan of it.

I love the way Nulon is so clean and even at 10,000km the oil comes out very transparent. Penrite and Castrol are mostly black after 10,000km.

VESSVBLACK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1
Penrite racing 10/10ths if modified cat converters, cam or SC
Extra $15 over there others but there best full syn oil
I rung there tech line and is what they recommend

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I love the way Nulon is so clean and even at 10,000km the oil comes out very transparent. Penrite and Castrol are mostly black after 10,000km.

Black is a good sign its cleaning the engine, transparent sounds like its not cleaning and might sludge up engine

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Autobarn catalogue in front of me Nulon 3w30 dexos approved full syn $29.99
Ah...I paid $39.99 for 5w30 at Costco. Never mind. My local garage charged $82.50 to change the oil/filter yesterday, half hour labour and disposed the old oil/filter included. I used to do it myself but I will probably let them to do it in the future, no fun to crawl under the ute at my age. I used to fill up the new filter with oil and grease the rubber ring before installing it, guess no one does it anymore.

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
I'd be careful dropping the oil before the recommended first interval as the initial oil may have special additives for break in.

When I get my Vf 2 ss I will be only putting 10 tenths penrite oil in as this is actual fully synthetic oil not "highly refined mineral oil that is able to be called fully synthetic". The 10 tenths is a pao ester blend (made by chemists) and doesn't break down as easily as the highly refined hydrocarbons - leaving less varnish and waste as the organic compounds are burned off.

The pao ester stuff also has a high viscosity index meaning it is less prone to massive viscosity variation when high temps are experienced.

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
Also, having a quality oil filter that is changed every oil change is imperative for maximum engine longevity.

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
Ah...I paid $39.99 for 5w30 at Costco. Never mind. My local garage charged $82.50 to change the oil/filter yesterday, half hour labour and disposed the old oil/filter included. I used to do it myself but I will probably let them to do it in the future, no fun to crawl under the ute at my age. I used to fill up the new filter with oil and grease the rubber ring before installing it, guess no one does it anymore.
Pretty sure they do,

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
Sooooooooo....Can I trust a dealer to replace with the correct oil? It appears all you guys are doing your own servicing/oil changes? How does this go with warranty? Go easy on me...I've never owned a brand new car before!
congrats on your new car purchase steve, use the factory filter and oil spec then warranty should not be a problem, but please don't wait for the 15000km oil change intervals these were designed to reduce running costs of the vehicle NOT for longevity of the engine