Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what oil to use in my vx 5.7

corza3

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss
ive recently changed the oil in my vx calais 5.7 using castrol edge 10w-60 but since i have done that its seems to be making tapping sort of noises, im thinking the oil is a bit to thin for it, i would like to keep using castrol edge just wondering what grade i should use, the car has 150,000kms, and also wondering what products to use for the rest of the service, ie spark plugs, air filter etc, thanks

Sphinx

O.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais II LS1
I run oleon 15-50 and there's no tappet noise on mine with 173 thou on it. either bosch or ngk plugs are ok, stock leads are ok and if you're willing to spend the extra coin, get a k&n air filter otherwise the stock one will be ok too. Any mods or is she stock?

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
If you use the search button you'll find plenty of reading on this previously discussed topic.

corza3

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss
its only got a 2.5" cat back exhaust and mcai with the 2 hole mod, i did search and found out the castrol edge 10w-60 was good so i used it and now have the tapping, so just wondering what people think would be the best now.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Well i've always ran mobil one but will be switching to the castrol edge next service, mobil one now only do a 5w 50 or something.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
from what iv read a lot of guys are running a 5-50 or a 10-50/60.

i run edge 10/60, mines got a rattle in the engine (piston slap and a bit of gudgeon noise) worse on the l/h bank of the engine, had it on a hoist started at work when we used to be aloud to use them, with a stethiscpe, was a bit louder on the left side, not sure whether to try a different oil or just wait till the engine needs a rebuild and do it all properly then or what.

noise was there before i switched to edge 5/30 and was a little quieter after, same with the 10/60, rattle normal for kays from what holden told me.

corza3

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss
the lifters are sytill making a fair nbit of noise im thinking about dropping the oil and trying some other brand as it wasnt there before the last oil change and adding some of that nulon lifter free, ive done alot of searching but still cant come up with what oil i should use, any more ideas would be helpful, thanks

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
youll find each motor is different mate.
i use in the hotter months castrol edge 10/60.
In my old SS i found magnetec was the quietest, where 10/60 edge was too noisy, go figure.

I have tried a few oils in my car and the above is the best(quietest) to date. It all comes to trial and error until you find what suits your application the best.
Even if my car was noisy on 10/60 i would continue to use it purely because of the stronger film strength it would provide than say over a 5/30/40. I would rather have a noisey engine than a spun bearing thats for sure.
I find it funny how people modify ther engines but dont change their oil to suit a higher power out put.

mgrb1211

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS L76 A4
Royal Purple 5W30 -keeps the engine quiet, smooth, and responsive (despite the beating during track days)
I've tried Mobil 1 5w30, Castrol Edge 5w30, and Castrol Edge 25w50... nothing comes close to Royal Purple 5w30.

White Lion

Reaction score
Members Ride
statesman 2009 (white Lion)
ive recently changed the oil in my vx calais 5.7 using castrol edge 10w-60 but since i have done that its seems to be making tapping sort of noises, im thinking the oil is a bit to thin for it, i would like to keep using castrol edge just wondering what grade i should use, the car has 150,000kms, and also wondering what products to use for the rest of the service, ie spark plugs, air filter etc, thanks

same question i asked
with one different that my car is wm 6.0L

and i got this answer
Too thick for such a new engine. Even a #w50 is a waste(except for Mobil 1 5w50 still quite thin), make use of a quality #w40 all year round for better economy and freedom of the engine. If your racing it, a different story. 5w40 is the best and lowest you would go. Also your engine should be able to handle 0w40 from Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge. Shell helix ultra, Pennzoil platinum, Penrite Sin are all good for you to use. What does your book say by the way ?

link of my thread if needed
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/general/105479-oil-use.html