Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what oil to use in my vx 5.7

ARATIC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hot House VY SS
ive recently changed the oil in my vx calais 5.7 using castrol edge 10w-60 but since i have done that its seems to be making tapping sort of noises, im thinking the oil is a bit to thin for it

Castrol Edge 10W60 wont be too thin, it has a lower viscosity when at operating temp (i.e. is thicker) than a 10W40 or 10W50. Its possible its too thick for the valve train which is probably the source of the noise

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
I use Castrol Edge 10w60 i think it was, gonna step it up to a 15w on next service to eliminate some of that "LS1 noise" as they call it.

SirNemesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
WHII Statesman

ARATIC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hot House VY SS
15W is the cold protection viscosity, won't make any difference when the engine is warm. Changing to a 15Wxx from a 10Wxx will only reduce cold engine protection (albeit marginally).

Engine oil viscosity must be the most misunderstood car topic.

Basically the Castrol Edge 10W60 is one of the thickest hot operating engine oils you can buy. 30 is thinner than 60 etc etc. a 15W60 oil (for example) has the same hot flow characteristics as a 10W60, its only the cold flow that differs

Solid8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais LS1 Turbo
To the original post. There is no definite answer as to what oil to use in your ls1. Find one that works well for your engine and stick to it. Suitable oils will vary greatly between ls1's. I have used expensive synthetic oils, ulx110 and other stuff. I have used magnatec in my current car with 560rwhp and my old 700rwhp engine. Brilliant oil the good old Magnatec which is why I use nothing else now. I will never waste my money on other expensive oils again :)

Blackout

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
The Mainlube 175 10W60 is insane on all levels. I have used since 80,000kms & now on 246,000kms. I am not concerned about paying $40 per litre, especially when it kills everything else that is sold in Australia.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
10-40w Shell HX8 full synthetic SN rated, $50 odd a bottle not on sale I used to use Castrol edge (Owned by BP)but it has the same SN high protection rating @ $80 a bottle not on sale.

vxfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais series 2 5.7ltr
I know it’s an old post but been reading these oil and rattle issues in ls1’s for years
its not an oil problem it’s the rubber o ring in the oil pump suction pipe ! Over time it shrinks and goes hard and doesn't seal anymore and let’s air in and stops oil pumping to top of engine !
my vx had 290k on clock and sounded like it had marbles in top of engine tryed a few different oils
with no luck worked out theres no oil reaching top of engine. Put new o ring in pump and now oil
suction pipe only sucks oil not air and now up to 310k and is quiet as church mouse ! $2 fix plus labour