Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what oil to use in my vx 5.7

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
What about the Nulon Street and Track formula,
I heard it was good for the chev motors, and I have it in my Stroker, seems good to me :)

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
... nothing comes close to Royal Purple 5w30.

Mainlube 175 Synthetic Race Oil SAE 10w60. Ive just put through a big order of oils from mainlube to do a full service on my VX SS.

This stuff is apparently amazing, so will be interesting to see how it goes.

At $40 per litre though, it is fairly expensive. As mentioned though, id rather spend $240 on engine oil rather than a rebuild which would set me back $10k+

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
Mainlube 175 Synthetic Race Oil SAE 10w60. Ive just put through a big order of oils from mainlube to do a full service on my VX SS.

At $40 per litre though, it is fairly expensive. As mentioned though, id rather spend $240 on engine oil rather than a rebuild which would set me back $10k+

The guys who owns Mainlube recommends 10/60 for ls1 engines i think. Its the next best thing from his 10/60 race oil.
Have a look at the ls1 forum, he has written a pile on oils. He is the oil bible...

mgrb1211

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS L76 A4

Oh yeah.. Mainlube is meant to be really good, but damn expensive. Royal Purple costs about $20 per litre. Mainlube 10w60 would probably be more beneficial to stressed motors (e.g. superchardged/turbo). On an NA, the thinner oil might be better.

alby1976

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Grange Gen3, VF Calais V Wagon, VY Calais L67
My Gen3 has done about 245K, I use Penrite HPR 10, its 10/50w.

corza3

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss
i went to get some more castrol edge toay or mobil 1 and they had niether so i just got castrol magnatec 10-40 do to the job for now as it was on special, anyone had any problems with this oil, will it do the job for now, thanks

troytroy2

Reaction score
Members Ride
YII Clubsport R8
i went to get some more castrol edge toay or mobil 1 and they had niether so i just got castrol magnatec 10-40 do to the job for now as it was on special, anyone had any problems with this oil, will it do the job for now, thanks

From what I've heard from the LS1 forums and here is that alot of LS1 owners use Castrol Magnatec 10-W40. So to answer your question. No you want have any issues, except for your right hip pocket being better off and the MOBIL 1 Marketing team being a little dissappointed with themselves....:beer chug:.

corza3

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss
ok thanks, just on a slightly different subject wat diff oil do i need to use its a lsd diff, thanks

V8Silverfox

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 VZ SS A4
Castrol recommends CASTROL EDGE SPORT 5W-30 or CASTROL EDGE SPORT 0W-40 for an LS1 and CASTROL SAF-XA for LSD and non-LSD diffs.