Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What other cars did you consider when buying?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I really want turbo petrol but a high tech NA V6 like the LFX in the VF is acceptable. I've got a BMW F11 LCI 535i with 3L turbo inline 6 and it's great but looking to downgrade due to such a small amount of use being hard to justify what it's worth.
Ok, wow. Sorry. I totally misread your original post and the word Petrol.

Volvo make a few different wagons, and sizes. But, you need to get AWD to get around the FWD only issue, Their bootspace is down on that of a Commodore, but they're fun cars to drive. And if you wanted to go all exclusive you could slip into one of the Polestar models. There's also the Skoda Octavia/Fabia you could consider also.

bradsm87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not a Commodore
Ok, wow. Sorry. I totally misread your original post and the word Petrol.

Volvo make a few different wagons, and sizes. But, you need to get AWD to get around the FWD only issue, Their bootspace is down on that of a Commodore, but they're fun cars to drive. And if you wanted to go all exclusive you could slip into one of the Polestar models. There's also the Skoda Octavia/Fabia you could consider also.

I just had a look and it looks like the only AWD petrol wagon Skoda is the Superb 206tsi which is still pretty pricey.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
In a nutshell awd is amazing at corners and putting power down, rwd very fun for the same things.

Awd tires spin less but still tend to get uneven wear and body/suspension takes a bashing with the hard cornering. Dont have to settle down in the wet either.

I had an older a4 wagon previously and it was a lot of fun. Too small for current work needs but meant it handled like a beast. Chipped turbo 4 was ok and still decent on fuel for an old car. I'd go one of these again in a heartbeat or anything like it. Currently have a outback NA 4 subie wagon. It's easy to get into handles well, is decently nippy but gutless at the same time. Really struggles to tow a small box trailer. Have driven the newer turbodiesel outback and its got more pep and better towing ability.

Audi A4 S4 a5 a6
Subaru liberty forester levorg outback wrx
Renault megane

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I don't care about FWD vs RWD, I'm a fairly conservative driver on the road so the RWD's ability to push the tail out (as opposed to the FWD's ability to kick the tail out) makes no difference to me … and if the FWD car is understeering that's 'cos it's a bad-handling FWD not just because it's FWD. :)

To the question at hand? I'd always wanted a V8, Mrs Forg had always wanted a V8, we were at a stage in our lives where we could afford it & given we were needing a new car anyway it seemed worth supporting the local industry. Plus we also wanted a wagon, and it didn't have to be the world's largest wagon with the biggest load-space. I'm also a general car enthusiast, so an SUV would never suit (regardless of what SUV or 4WD you get it's compromised & horrible compared a comparable real car - not to mention being antisocial!).

Of course, weeks after making that decision they announced they were pulling out, so it made not one iota of difference to support the industry; that's why it took us a year to get around to actually buying something (interest in the concept was kinda reduced after that announcement of abandonment).

Alternatives? Well there weren't a lot of them. Probably would have looked at a Skoda Superb & Octavia, the Golf R in wagon form would've been considered, possibly a Subaru LeForg. Or potentially something used.

bradsm87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not a Commodore
The majority of cars have just got more and more boring over the past 10 years. I have a 2007 Liberty 3.0R Spec B wagon in 6 speed manual. It was so good! They went downhill from there. It's sad really.

I think it's between a VFII SV6 and a B8 Audi A4 Quattro S-Line. The Commodore would make a better all-rounder but I have another vehicle for the occasional towing and extra space. Audi a little easier to manoeuvre in the city and car parks being a little smaller.

Last edited:

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
I tried very hard to talk myself into a third G6E.

Mechanically and bodywise I was sold but the interior hadn't changed since my first one in 2010 and a change of office was needed.

Very happy with my VF2 (there's bugger all difference between it and the Ford) but the big question for me is what comes next?

bradsm87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not a Commodore
I tried very hard to talk myself into a third G6E.

Mechanically and bodywise I was sold but the interior hadn't changed since my first one in 2010 and a change of office was needed.

Very happy with my VF2 (there's bugger all difference between it and the Ford) but the big question for me is what comes next?

Sedan or wagon?

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
Sedans.

I don't think I've ever owned a wagon. A couple of panel vans when I was a young fella.

Ford ceased Falcon wagons in (I think) 2010.

bradsm87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not a Commodore
Sedans.

I don't think I've ever owned a wagon. A couple of panel vans when I was a young fella.

Ford ceased Falcon wagons in (I think) 2010.

To answer your original what comes next question, used BMW G30 5 series in a few years. Amazing spacious RWD cars with a lot of tech.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I have a colorado 7 for the wagoneering, 4x4 2.8l td engine go anywhere fun but i stll have the vf for comfortable long road drives.

It comes down to what you want out of a vehicle, i know if i had to choose again i would still go a 4x4 for wagoneering but that is because i enjoy beach fishing camping etc.